four

I spent a week on my own. The only times I left my flat were the times when absolutely necessary. I didn’t here from my ‘friends’, I didn’t hear from Harry, but more importantly, I didn’t see or hear from Parker.

            I didn’t know whether to feel worried or relieved. It was nerve-wracking; I was left in the dark.

            It wasn’t until late one Saturday night, after a week of no contact, when a pounding sound emitted from my front door.

            I was sat on my couch, reading an old book, when it happened. My eyes widened when it did. I didn’t move; the book dropped from my hands as I sat, frozen.

            A few more bangs sounded before I heard Harry’s voice. “Tilly, open the door, it’s me,” Hearing his voice relieved me from my terror. Immediately, I dashed over to the door and unlocked it, pulling it open.

            Harry shot inside and slammed it shut before quickly walking to my windows, checking the already-closed blinds. My feet remained planted by the door, my gaze following him.

            He was dressed in all black, with jean-clad legs and a long topcoat covering his top half. He had sunglasses on, which I found odd; it was nearly eleven at night.

            “Lock the door,” he said, running a hand through his messy hair. I did as he said before turning back to him with furrowed eyebrows. The way he was acting was peculiar.

            “Harry, what-“ Before I could finish, he moved over to my dining room table and began dumping out his pockets. My jewelry clattered onto the table and I gasped.

            “How?” I asked in astonishment as I walked over. My cloud of confusion was only thickening. I lightly touched my necklace, my fingertips brushing over the deep-green emerald surface. Tears gathered in my eyes.

            “You gave me the address and the work schedule, so me and a couple of my guys went and did it,” he spoke in a low voice.

            “Your guys?” I asked, looking up at him briefly. He licked his lips and nodded.

            “Couple of guys I work with,” he responded. I nodded.

            “Thank you so much,” My voice was becoming a bit choked up. Making a brave move, I stepped towards him and threw my arms around his torso. His body stiffened in response to the hug, but gradually, he hugged me back.

            “It’s not problem,” His gruff voice said. I let him go and stepped back.

            “Stay for a cup of tea,” I wanted to be able to repay him for what he did. Tea couldn’t suffice, but it could start.

            He looked at the clock before nodding, removing his sunglasses.

            In silence, I made the tea. As I did, his body was leaned against the kitchen counter.

            “How did you do it?” I asked while handing him a steaming mug. He sighed, looking down.

            “We, uh, we’re pretty good with that kind of stuff,” he slowly said. “Not legally, I’ll tell you that,”

            A quiet laugh left my lips. “Thank you,”

            “He’s going to realize they’re gone,” Harry said as he rubbed his chin. I hadn’t really thought about it. My lips pressed together.