nine

"Hey," Harry's raspy voice said from the doorway of his bedroom. His voice was thick with sleep.

Currently, I was sitting on the couch, wrapped in a blanket. I glanced over my shoulder to look at him, an emotionless look on his face.

Harry wore basketball shorts and no shirt. His hair was messy, but I was sure mine was as well.

I turned around and looked out the window in front of me.

"Are you still upset?" he asked and I could hear him walk across the room. He walked to the kitchen.

"No," I said, staring out at the buildings that could be seen from the window. I wasn't upset anymore.

"Then what's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong, Harry, I'm just tired," I snapped. Immediately, I realized I was too harsh. I closed my eyes and sighed. "Sorry, I just-"

He laughed. "It's okay,"

After a few moments, I sighed. "I should leave,"

"You're okay," he said. I heard the rattling of bowls from the kitchen. "But, yeah, I do have work in a bit,"

I stood, removing the blanket from around me. "I need to go to the grocery anyway," Silently, I folded up the blanket as my gaze moved to him. He was pouring cereal into a bowl. "I'll wash and return your clothes,"

"Don't worry about it," he said, not looking up from his cereal. "They look good on you anyway,"

I laughed softly. "Thanks, Harry," I picked my clothes up off of the coffee table. "I'll talk to you later?"

"Yeah, I'll stop by when I'm home from work,"

I smiled, walking towards to the front door. "Have fun,"

He scoffed. "Yeah, okay," His tone was sarcastic.

My fingers locked around the doorknob and I turned it, swinging it open.

"Bye," I called to him as I walked out. I didn't wait for a response; I just closed the door.

The trip back to my flat was a short one. It took practically no time to take the elevator and walk back. I smiled when I entered. Immediately I walked to my room to get dressed.

After quickly changing out of Harry's clothes and pulling some new ones on, I scribbled a grocery list on a slip of paper I found on the kitchen counter. I needed basic things, nothing too extravagant. I couldn't eat like a king on a peasant's budget. My money would go to rent.

The nearest grocery store would only be about a mile's hike. After throwing a jacket on, I started my trek. The streets weren't crowded; it was eight on Saturday morning. Everyone was asleep.

I picked up a basket as I walked through the automatic doors of the store. Few people were here; the store had just opened. An older woman working at a cash register near the door smiled at me as I walked in. I waved in return.

For the next ten minutes, I sauntered around the store, picking up everything from eggs to packs of tea. The prices weren't that expensive, and I was incredibly grateful for that.

"Hi, hope you found everything alright," the man working at another checkout station said as I approached. I smiled and nodded. He scanned the items and the total wasn't as much as I expected. That lightened my mood a bit.