The Other Half is Found

I run as fast as I can towards the map room. Thankfully it's dark, so no one should be in there. When I reach it I drop to the ground and army crawl to the door, just in case.

I try to ignore all the sticks scraping my bare elbows and tearing up my dress. I make a mental note to myself to change before anyone notices.

I finally reach the door and whisper inside. "Hello? Jeremy are you in there?"

"June? June is that you?" A weak voice answers.

I feel my heart leap with excitement! It's him!

"Yes! It's me!" I practically shout as I rush in.

I look around the room and finally see him. He's huddled in the farthest corner of the room. He looks okay, I expected that. I knew the gladers wouldn't starve or beat him or anything. But still... He had been sleeping on the ground, and it got pretty cold at night and he didn't have any blankets or anything, not even a light.

I rush over to him and as I get closer, I can see that he's sweating terribly, yet shivering with cold. This could only mean one thing...

I carefully put my hand on his forehead. It's incredibly hot.

"Jeremy, you're burning up!" I gasp quietly. "Why didn't you ask for a med-jack?"

"I did at first, but they thought that I was just looking for an excuse to see you." He said, his voice shaking.

I can't stop the rage that's boiling inside of me. His fever is so high, if I hadn't found him he could've died!

"Come on Jeremy, we're going to the Med-Jack hit!" I say as I lift my twin brother up. He's heavy.

"You can walk, right?" I ask him, hoping that he can.

He nods, and relief fills me. There was no way I would've been able to carry him.

We get all the way to the Med-Jack Hut before someone finds us.