The Nightmares Begin

I wake up, a scream upon my lips, shivering and tears staining my cheeks.

It was just a dream, it was just a dream, I tell myself.

I hear Lainey wake up and hurry over to my side, Newt also comes into the room quickly.

"June, what's wrong?" He asks me.

Lainey hugs me as I explain my nightmare. I cry until I can't cry anymore, it had truly terrified me.

"It felt so real," I say between sniffs. I knew that Lainey often got nightmares like these, almost clock worth. They happened three times a week to her. I wonder if I would get nightmares that often too and start crying all over again.

It was still in the middle of the night. I was glad I ha only woken up Newt and Lainey.

"Well, maybe you only had this nightmare because your afraid of the grievers. I mean, when Lainey first learned about the maze walls closing every night, that's when she started getting nightmares. Maybe the same thing is happening with you." Newt suggested.

I shake my head.

"No that's not it, I'm not afraid of the Grievers. I mean I don't like them and they definitely are scary. But I'm not exactly afraid of them." I try to explain, "Maybe, maybe I got this dream for another reason. You see out of the couple of weeks I've been here, I haven't dreamed. Not once. Maybe whoever sent us up here is trying to warn us about something, maybe..."

I don't even have to finish the sentence. They get it. Newt says that idea is just a pile of klunk, but I can tell he thinks otherwise.

That night Newt refused to leave our room. He was sitting in the corner when I fell asleep... But when I woke up he was lying next to Lainey on her bed. Nothing bad was really happening, they were just lying there.

I get up and get dressed, wearing a pale purple dress and leggings with combat boots. I pull my hair into a ponytail and go to the Med-Jack hut. (I'm not sure if this is actually what's it's called but whatever!)

Jeff and Clint are already down there. I walk into the room that my patients go to. I never really get that many patients, and when I do they only have minor injuries, but I still have a room. I decide to organize my medicines while I wait for a patient or a task.

Lainey ended up coming in late. She immediately got to work. Sometimes I wonder what she would say if she was able to talk.

Leaving my thoughts to themselves, I continue working again.

A loud clanging noise sounds from outside and I rush outside. The noise doesn't bother many of the gladers. It's the box coming up with the weekly supplies. It always catches me off guard!

I run over to the box as fast as I can. Newt had said that Minho and Alby had requested something for me and Jeremy.

Newt is already over there with a couple of other Gladers. They had already begun lifting the supplies out of the box.

"Oh hey June!" Newt says when he sees me.

"What did I get? What did I get?" I say bobbing up and down with excitement

Newt chuckles and lifts up a pale blue box. I know this one is for me and Jeremy. It always is. Whenever we get stuff it's always sent up in the same pale blue box.

"Why don't you look for yourself?" Newt asks as he hands me the box.

I quickly flip off the lid and peer inside. There are all sorts of stuff.

At the top is the usual stuff. Clothes. There's a pink dress with roses on it, and a white dress with lace. There was also shirts and pants for Jeremy.

I take the clothes out to see what's underneath. I almost shriek with excitement! In the box are all sorts of children's books! I had been asking for these for a while but Alby had said they would be useless. I guess he finally decided to get some for me.

"There's more you know," Newt says. "Pull away the books!"

I do as he says and underneath are five previous items. The first is a brown stuffed rabbit. I grab it and set it in my lap as I pick the other things; two notebooks bound with leather, their pages yellowed with age, and two ball point pens.

"It's one for you and your brother," Newt tells me, "and obviously the bunny is yours."

Newt helps me carry my new items to my room. I carefully set down the books and notebook.

"Newt, will you take Jeremy his clothes and notebook?" I ask in the sweetest voice I can. "Alby won't tell me where he is, so can you do it?"

Newt nods and in a couple of seconds I'm left alone. I open up one of the books. It's cover says "Alice in Wonderland".

Well that's seems lovely, I think to myself.

I settle down and soon I'm lost in the book.