He's a Tramp

Victoria Smith walked the streets of the small, British village, clutching her book to her chest. It was dangerous for anyone to be out this late, especially a woman. She knew most of the people who lived here, but any shadows in the gloom of night looked menacing. She heard someone walking behind her. She picked up the pace. The person behind her did as well.

"Miss? Miss, are you okay?" A kind, gentle voice asked. It was the man behind her.

"N-no." Victoria stammered. She would not meet the man's eyes.

"Miss, look at me." The man ordered.

Victoria turned around. The man was handsome. He had fine cheekbones and, from what she could tell in the gloom, light brown hair.

"My name is James Nicholls. What's yours?" He asked.

"Victoria Smith." Victoria said.

"Victoria. What a beautiful name." James said. "It's not safe for you to be out here on your own."

"I know that." Victoria said.

"Please, allow me to take you home." James said. "Where do you live?"

"With my parents." Victoria said.

"Well, lead the way." James said.

Victoria let James take her home. To her surprise, she trusted James. She had thought she'd heard his name before. She searched her mind for names of people she'd heard.

"Aren't you the boy who's always horse racing with Jamie Stewarts?" She suddenly asked.

"We're training for the Calvary." James corrected.

"Oh, you want to be part of the army." Victoria said. "You must also be the boy who broke my best friend's heart."

"Oh, uh...yes" James said, somewhat embarrassed. "Who was she again?"

"Her name is Amy." Victoria said.

"Ah, yes, her! How is she doing?" James asked.

"You don't even know who I'm talking about, do you?" Victoria asked.

"No." James laughed. Victoria, even though he had just saved her, glared at him in disgust. James noticed and smiled at her. "You can't expect me to remember every woman I court, can you?"

"And you court a lot, I suppose?" Victoria asked.

"Well, it's all in good fun." James said.

What a tramp! Victoria thought. She turned to James when they got to her home.

"I can take it from here, but thank you for walking me home and rescuing me." Victoria said.

"I'm not going to leave you until I talk to your parents." James said. Before Victoria could protest, he knocked on the door.

A man and a woman opened the door. They gasped and pulled Victoria into the house. James stepped in of his own accord.

"Young lady, we were worried sick about you!" Her mother said.

"I told you where I was going!" Victoria said.

"You didn't say how late you would be out!" Her mother replied.

"She got a bit sidetracked." James said, announcing his presence.

"Who are you?" Victoria's father said.

"James Nicholls." James said. "I just wanted to walk her home. There were some drunk men on the streets she was walking on and I wanted to make sure she made it home safe."