You Have Bewitched Me, Body and Soul

I know that their relationship is going very fast, but I want to get to WW1 and Joey. Sorry! 

----------------------------

Several months had passed since James had started courting Victoria. Victoria had lasted much longer than some of the other women James had courted, but she hadn't reached how long he'd courted his previous fiance. He had told Victoria that he broken it off with her because he realized that she didn't like to have fun. That made Victoria worried. She usually wasn't one for much fun either. Apparently, though, James thought she was fun enough. He would always laugh and seem like he was having a good time while they were together. Most of their outings consisted of going to bookstores and just relaxing on the porch of one of their houses. At the current moment, Victoria and James were just lying in James' hammock. Her head was resting on his shoulder. She was reading, while James occasionally would ask what a larger word meant and Victoria would tell him. She finally rested her book on her stomach and rolled over slightly, pressing her forehead to James' upper arm. James lazily stroked her hair. 

"I love you, Victoria." He whispered when he thought she was asleep. Victoria's eyes snapped open and she lifted her head.

"You what?" She said. James gulped. He had never told anyone he loved them before, except his mother. He had liked women before, but he had never loved one. 

"I...erm...I love you." James mumbled. He looked down, a bit nervous. What if Victoria didn't love him back? When he looked back up, however, he was met by Victoria kissing him on the lips. She was smiling widely when they broke apart.

"I love you too." She said. 

James breathed a sigh of relief and rested his head back on the hammock. Victoria nestled her head just below his chin and closed her eyes. In the time they had started to spend together, James had come to see Victoria's affectionate side. She was smiling a lot more around him and she seemed kinder than when he'd first met her. Only Victoria's two most intimate friends, Amy and another girl named Evelyn, knew about them being together. It was funny to James because Victoria's two most intimate friends were being courted by his two most intimate friends, Jamie and Charlie Waverly. He wanted to get married first, though. He wanted to propose to Victoria soon. He didn't know what kind of ring he should buy, though. This was going to be very hard. 

When James had finally decided that he would propose in the next few months, the sun was going down. James had 'accidentally' told Victoria that he loved her in the early evening, so it would make sense. He looked down at his love and smiled. She was so pretty. He kissed the top of her head and stroked her hair. After admiring her for a few more seconds, he shook her awake. 

"Mm? What is it?" She yawned, opening her eyes tiredly.

"I should take you home. It's almost dark out." James said softly. 

"Alright." Victoria climbed out of the hammock and stretched. James rolled out of it. 

The two of them held hands and walked back to Victorian's house. James dropped her off and kissed her on the cheek before telling her he loved her and leaving. Victoria watched him go, smiling softly. She hoped she wouldn't regret trusting James. He had told her he loved her, hadn't he? That had to amount to something. She pushed the thoughts that he was just using her out of her mind. She had been able to see some of the times he looked at her when he thought she wasn't looking and it was a look of pure love. Victoria felt fuzzy and warm as she went into the house.

"How was James?" Her mother asked.

"Never better." Victoria sighed. "He has never been better."

---------------------------------

(A few more months later)

Nearly a year after Victoria and James had met, James was getting ready to propose. He had practiced with Jamie, which really had been quite odd, and was getting ready to do the real thing with Victoria. He was utterly terrified. What if she said no? What if, in an odd turn of events, Victoria had just been using him as a punishment for all those other girls he'd courted?