Letters

James had gotten to his camp an hour or two after he had left Victoria. He didn't want to think about how much she was hurting. He missed her so much already. It was early afternoon when he had arrived. He went to go see how Joey was doing. He had seen Jamie and Charlie, but they were already trying to make new friends and become popular. Joey had been put next to Topthorn, Jamie's horse. Topthorn was a magnificent, large, black horse.

"Joey, meet Topthorn. Topthorn, this is Joey." Perkins was saying. "Sort out who's in charge between the two of you, you 'ear? If you want to fight, get it over with because once we're over there, you're going to need everything you've got for Fritz."

"Gently, Perkins!" James said. "I don't want to sour him."

"There be nothing gentle about a war, sir." Perkins said. "And there be nothing gentle about this one, either."

"I understand that, Sergeant, but I want him fit and shining." James said, handing off his riding crop and cap to someone passing by. He took Joey's reins and turned to give Perkins a look. "He's my horse."

"Sir." Perkins nodded and left.

James patted Joey's neck. He was very tense. "Easy, boy."

"Scares the living daylights out of me." Charlie said. James turned. He must have just come up behind him. He hadn't seen him.

"Who?" James asked.

"Perkins!" Charlie said, as if it was very obvious. "I'm glad he's on our side."

James turned to see Jamie (who had been made a Major in the army) coming up behind them with a few other soldiers. Jamie eyed Joey up and down.

"Not bad. Not bad at all." He said. "Still, not a patch on my Topthorn."

"I wouldn't be so sure. I think he's got potential." James smiled, patting Joey's neck. "He's certainly got the bit between his teeth!"

"I actually think my Blenheim's faster than the pair of them." Charlie said. Blenheim was a small, white horse. He was a little smaller than Joey.

"Clear off." Jamie said. Charlie and James fell in with the other soldiers, leaving their horses behind. James took his riding crop and hat back. "All right, gentlemen, listen here. Everything tells us the same story, from Waterloo to Omdurman, from Pickett's Charge to the Battle of Mars-la-Tour. The first attack can and should be the decisive one. Perkins?"

"Yes, sir?" Perkins said.

"No excuses, no mistakes. Every horse groomed and fit for presentation." Jamie said. "I want a full practice charge tomorrow."

"Sir." Perkins turned around and headed back.

James and Charlie grinned at each other. This was just what they had been waiting for. After listening to Jamie for awhile longer, they went to groom their horses. James found himself talking to Joey.

"I think my wife would have loved you. Her name is Victoria. She's got gorgeous brown hair and beautiful brown eyes. She's got such a way with animals. She says she didn't want a dog, but I saw the joy on her face when I gave her that puppy. I doubt that she'll ever get me my belt back." He laughed. Joey snorted. "Oh, don't be like that, now. I'll have to write her soon. I promised I would. I should also write a letter to the boy who owned Joey. I think that we've both adjusted miraculously well, don't you?"

Joey didn't make a sound. James sighed. He couldn't talk to Jamie or Charlie about how much he missed Victoria because they would just regard him as a sentimental fool. They loved their wives, but they and their wives didn't share the same bond that he and Victoria did. And his horse didn't respond to him. He had to write to Victoria, and soon.