Trapped

1918

James was utterly exhausted. His back ached as he dragged a cannon forward. Jamie was right beside him. Since Jamie was a little more built than him, the work was slightly easier for him. The only thing that made the work easier for James was the thought of escaping once they got to France. Everything would be okay then. 

"Stop!" A German shouted. 

Everyone stopped. A horse had collapsed in the mud. It looked hurt. One of the Germans led it away and shot it. The sound of the shot surprised the other horses. Once they were sure the horse was out of its misery, the Germans turned around.

"Adalric! Bring up another horse! That one!" One shouted. Adalric nodded and got Joey. James's breath hitched in his throat. Despite knowing he had more pressing matters, he couldn't help remembering that he had promised Albert that he would try to bring Joey home. "No, no! The big black one!"

"Topthorn." Jamie whispered. James cast a sad look at him. He couldn't help feeling relieved that it wasn't Joey pulling the guns. 

Adalric reluctantly took Joey back and dragged Topthorn up to the guns. He didn't want to hurt these horses. James and Jamie were some of the only friends he had. He didn't want them to get even more hurt than they already were.

"He's a good horse, sir, but if you move him up to the heavy guns he'll be no use at all." Adalric said. "Topthorn is not in a good condition. His leg, sir..."

"You've given them names?" The general raised his eyebrows.

"Yes, sir." Adalric lied. He wasn't about to get James and Jamie into trouble.

"You should never give a name to something you're certain to lose." The general said.

"His leg is not good enough, sir." Adalric stood his ground.

"Private, you will do as you are told." The general said firmly. "Hook him up!"

Joey suddenly seemed to have a fit. He bucked up on his back legs and ran to the front of the team of horses pulling guns. James smiled and looked at Jamie, who breathed a sigh of relief. If there was one thing Jamie didn't want to lose, it was Topthorn. After a little more convincing from Adalric, Joey was hooked up to the cannon. Adalric took Topthorn back to the other horses. He nodded to Jamie, who nodded back gratefully. 

-------------------------------------

Victoria ran around the hospital, trying to get to every one of her patients. She got along well with all of the soldiers, since she was so sisterly. Amy hadn't been able to handle all of the blood involved, so she ran the errands for everyone. 

"Hello, Matthew." Victoria said. A young man with blond hair smiled at her.

"Hello, Victoria." He said. "How are you?"

"I'm good, you?" Victoria asked.

"Well, my leg hurts like hell." Matthew said.

"This might help. I'll warn you, it may sting." Victoria said. 

She dipped a cloth in a solution that Sybil had made for her and took off Matthew's old bandage. She winced at the sight. Matthew's leg wound was getting green, which probably wasn't a good sign. Matthew looked at her.

"How does it look?" He asked.

"Not good, I'm afraid. But maybe this will work." Victoria said. 

Victoria put the wet cloth onto Matthew's wound. He hissed in pain and flinched. Victoria held his leg steady and continued to clean his wound. After a little while, Matthew relaxed. Victoria decided to talk to him to take his mind off of any pain that might be there.