It's Over

Victoria and James hadn't been asleep for more than about an hour or two when a knock on the door awoke them. Victoria rubbed her eyes and tiredly told whoever it was to come in. Amy opened the door and came in with Sybil and another nurse. Each of them was carrying a tray of food. Jamie was also sitting up and he and James were extremely relieved to see plates of actual food, and not the disgusting prison stuff they had been forced to eat. 

"Thank God. I'm starving." James said. 

One of trays was set down in front of him, and he was shocked at what it contained. Unlike Victoria's which was laden with what looked like a feast to him, his only had some applesauce, bread, and soup. 

"What the hell is this?" He asked Victoria. Shouldn't his homecoming dinner be a little more spectacular?

"You can't have too much to eat. You've been without good nutrition for too long." Victoria said. "If you eat too much, you'll get sick. Don't eat too quickly either."

"Just be grateful it's not whatever we ate with the Germans." Jamie said. 

James found it was an effort to finish the meal before him. He hadn't had food so rich in four years, so it was a little straining for his stomach. He thought that he was going to throw up when he was done. Victoria smiled sympathetically at him as she took his tray away. 

"Told you." She said, kissing his forehead. 

"Yes, you did." James sighed. "Ugh. I didn't think I wouldn't be able to handle soup and bread."

"You've eaten nothing but, I suspect, rotten prison food for four years. It will take your body some time to adjust." Victoria said. "The same goes to you, Jamie."

"I feel like I did the first time I ate their excuse for food." Jamie said. 

"Just rest, you two." Victoria said fondly. "Do you need anything?"

"Just sleep." James said. "Thank you for looking after us so diligently, darling."

"Oh, it's my pleasure." Victoria said, bending down to gently kiss James's forehead. James smiled at his beautiful wife. 

"Have you told Amy about Charlie?" He asked. Victoria looked down in shame.

"No." She whispered. "I think she would have figured it out when she saw that Charlie wasn't with you both." 

"I should really tell her." James said, looking down guiltily. 

"You can tell her when you have the strength to stand and walk." Victoria said. "Now, rest. I still need to work, you know."

Victoria left the room and James closed his eyes to get some more sleep. It was going to take a lot for him to regain the last four years of sleep that he had missed out on. He couldn't wait to go home and sleep in his old bed with Victoria. Still, it was good to be here for now. James finally fell asleep, never feeling more content in his life.

---------------------------------------

Victoria was smiling like an idiot when she reached Matthew. He was petting a very relaxed looking Bailey. Matthew smiled at Victoria as she approached.

"I heard about your husband." He said. "I'm very happy for you."

"Thank you, Matthew." Victoria said. "I can't believe he made it... I was starting to think he was dead."

"I want to meet him." Matthew said.

"Alright. When he can walk and is healthier, I'll introduce you two." Victoria said. "You've reminded me a bit of him, you know. I think that's why I've gotten along so well with you."