All I Want For Christmas is You

It was Christmas Eve. Victoria's parents were coming over the next day. Victoria was working hard on cleaning the house and cooking food. Bailey could sense that something important was happening. He kept getting under Victoria's feet and tripping her. She would send him an icy glare, but she couldn't bring herself to yell at him after he had (nearly) won the sheepdog trial. The money he had won her had been very useful for Christmas shopping. Victoria was fighting back tears as she went to bed that night. This was her first Christmas without James. She was in anguish. She didn't even know if James was alive or not. Bailey pawed at her arm.

"I miss him so much." She whispered. Her voice escalated to a yell, "He was supposed to be home by now! He promised me!"

Bailey's ears flattened to his head and he tucked his tail between his legs. He scuttled under the bed. Victoria started to sob in sadness and anger. She wanted this war to end. She hated war. Everyone was dying. Every day, people just like her received news that their loved ones had been killed or captured and their worlds ended just like hers had. Tomorrow people would receive news of death. It would probably be the worst Christmas gift ever.

If James had died in a war camp, would Victoria find out? She didn't know. On one hand, she wanted to know her husband's fate. On the other hand, she didn't want to know if James was dead or not. The only thing that was keeping her going was the tiny bit of hope that James was still alive. If he was dead and she found out... Victoria didn't want to think about what she would do to herself.

James probably shouldn't have showed me where the shotgun was. She thought.

Victoria suddenly felt bad for Bailey. She had scared him. She forced herself to stop crying and got down on her knees in front of the bed.

"Bailey. Bailey, come out." She coaxed. Bailey finally crept out. Victoria climbed back on the bed and Bailey jumped up onto it. Victoria hugged him and kissed him on the head. "I love you, Bailey, even if I don't show it too much."

Bailey licked Victoria's hand as if to say, "I love you too."

------------------------------------

James was tossing and turning. It was hard to fall asleep. He knew it was Christmas tomorrow. Adalric had told him the date. He hoped Victoria had gotten his letter. That was all he wanted for Christmas. Well, what he really wanted was to actually see her, but that was impossible.

Charlie had been sick for awhile now. He was still able to walk and do his work, though, so that was good. The sickness had been spreading to the other prisoners. Thankfully, James hadn't caught it and neither had Jamie...yet, at least. James, even though he wanted to help Charlie get better, was staying away from him so he didn't get sick himself.

James finally got up. He couldn't sleep, so he thought that maybe a walk would help him. He went outside and breathed in the night air. For once, everything actually seemed very calm. James made sure no one saw him as he walked around the camp, trying to tire himself out. He pushed the temptation to try and escape to the back of his mind. The Germans would probably find him if he did escape, anyway.

"What are you doing up and out of bed?" Someone asked. James turned around.

"I could ask you the same thing, Jamie." He said, relaxing.

"You aren't as silent as you think." Jamie said. "Either I'm just a very light sleeper or you're as loud as the parade that was thrown for us the day that we left."

"Ha, ha." James said. "It's probably the first option."

"My money's actually on the latter." Jamie said.