Pride and Arrogance

In the next few weeks, Victoria and James saw a bit more of each other. Victoria was starting to like James and looked forward to their visits. One day, she was wandering around fields while reading her book. It was the same one that she had gotten the night James rescued her. She was about halfway done with it. She suddenly heard her name being called.

"Victoria?" 

Victoria looked up. "James? What are you doing on my field?"

"What are you doing on my field?" James asked. 

"Your field?" Victoria said. 

She looked up and looked around. She usually wandered around her own property while reading, but she must have strayed much farther than she'd thought. James laughed a bit. She glared at him.

"Oh, be quiet." She said. She was terribly embarrassed. 

"What book are you reading?" James asked. 

"Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin." Victoria said.

"Is it good?" James asked.

"Yes, very." Victoria nodded. 

"Er...would you like to come inside?" James asked. 

"Of course." Victoria said. 

Despite seeing each other in the village, Victoria had never been to James' house and James had never really been inside Victoria's house. Only the one time when he had rescued her. Victoria marked her place in her book and followed James. James led her into a nice farmhouse. 

"My mother is here and my father is plowing the field." James explained as he opened the door. "Mother?"

"James? Are you finished with your work?" His mother asked.

"Well, I got a bit sidetracked." James said. He stepped aside to reveal Victoria. "Mother, this is Victoria, the woman I've been telling you about."

"Hello, Victoria. How are you?" Mrs. Nicholls asked.

"I'm well. How are you?" Victoria asked.

"Very well, thank you for asking." Mrs. Nicholls said. "Would you two like something to drink?"

"Yes, please." James said. "We'll be out on the porch."

Victoria and James went outside and sat on the steps of the porch. Victoria fiercely wanted to finish her book, but she didn't want to be impolite. James looked like he felt awkward. Victoria felt a wave of confidence.

"I thought you knew how to talk to women." She said.

"I do, but you make me nervous." James said.

"I have a feeling you say that a lot." Victoria said. 

"No. You're the first woman to make me this nervous." James said.

"Forgive me, but I don't believe you." Victoria said. 

"You have a right." James chuckled. 

James' mother brought out lemonade and Victoria and James drank in silence. When they finished, Victoria brought the glasses in the house. She came back outside and saw James waiting for her.

"Walk with me." He said.

The two of them walked around James' farm. It was very beautiful here. Much prettier than her own farm. James' property was bigger and there were some woods on them. Victoria's just had a few trees that she could sit under. But, she still loved her farm. James showed her to a swing.