Chasing after nothing you moron

They decide to just watch and see what happens, Dazai isn't in any pain because of the ability, it's just that every time Mori-san so much as glances at Chuuya Dazai gets agitated- and violent, he doesn't think many people in the Agency have seen Dazai be so cruel, Chuuya isn't surprised. Dazai is a dick. Anyways they separate and Chuuya assumes that it's over. Soon the ADA will find the person responsible and Dazai will find Chuuya again when he needs someone to take down a dragon for him. Chuuya will vehemently disagree but end up doing whatever Dazai wants. It's a routine that Chuuya doesn't quite find comfort in but understands.

Except Dazai doesn't follow the routine.

Chuuya returns to the Port Mafia headquarters and falls asleep, to the comforting din of people. The Mafia is a well-oiled machine and Chuuya relishes in the unity of the Mafia. He wakes to shouting, and someone pounding on his door. There's a pause and then the doorknob jiggles and the tell-tale click of the lock being picked. The door opens and Dazai peaks inside, Chuuya doesn't hesitate to take the gun from his nightstand and shoot in Dazai's general direction. The door slams shut and Chuuya rolls out of bed to get dressed.

Today was supposed to be a rest day but Dazai always did enjoy making his life difficult. Chuuya spends extra-long showering just to spite him. He is meticulous getting dressed picking clothes he knows that Dazai will despise, his shoes are ostentatious and obscenely expensive. Chuuya loves the feel of the expensive leather so different from the cheap sneakers from the slums.

His interactions with Dazai yesterday jarred him-made the very skin on him feel strange and off-footed. He needs the expensive feel of the clothes against his skin to ground him, remind him of who he is.

When he steps out Dazai pushes him gently against the doorframe. He presses close to Chuuya and leans in for a kiss. At the first brush of their lips, Chuuya jerks his head to the side. Dazai visibly hesitates and Chuuya thinks he'll have to be more aggressive in dissuading Dazai but he just presses closer and hugs Chuuya close. His arms cage Chuuya in a loose embrace. Chuuya stands on his toes and tips his head back. He's not struggling because if he was, Dazai's arm would be limp and broken by his sides. Chuuya refuses to acknowledge that particular fact.

"Wanted to see you," Dazai mutters, brushing Chuuya's hair off his neck and nosing under his chin.

"Fuck off," Chuuya says simply. Dazai predictably does not fuck off but instead presses closer.

"Chuuya." Whispers Dazai. "Wanna be with you, regardless of your slug-like temperament." Dazai crushes Chuuya even further against the doorframe and starts crooning the words to the suicide song in Chuuya's ear. He laughs when Chuuya shudders violently but makes no moves to push Dazai away.

"Yeah? Well, I'm buying groceries and going back to my fucking apartment. They have a strict no pets policy-a lie, it's a million-dollar apartment, Chuuya could bring a fucking whale home and no one would give a fuck-so you cant come."

"I'll accompany you to the stores then." Dazai is finally easing back. "I'm sure there will be plenty of pretty ladies who want to partake in a double suicide with me." His voice comes out choked and Chuuya can see the visible strain on Dazai's face. He doesn't comment.

They take Chuuya's car to the store. A new car, very different from the one Dazai blew up-this one is old fashioned: an impala. Classy.

Dazai acts like a nuisance the entire time. He drapes himself over Chuuya and tries to convince Chuuya that he needs twenty cans of canned crab and bandages, and a helmet-which Chuuya doesn't understand until Dazai points out that he rides his motorcycle without a helmet. Eventually, Chuuya just makes Dazai drive the cart around.