The Wolf who saw it licked his lips

Chuuya doesn't see Dazai for a while after that, which doesn't mean that his presence is not felt. Dazai leaves rolls of bandages on his bathroom counter, his trenchcoat is left crumpled on Chuuya's floor.. He tapes a heavily amended alliance agreement to Chuuya's ceiling. He leaves favorite Chuuya takeout in his fridge. He eats Chuuya's food.

So his presence is very much felt by Chuuya.

But he doesn't see Dazai.

Chuuya tries to remedy that by completely changing his security system and installing cameras, the entire system is disabled within days of being installed and Chuuya finds all his cameras left in a neat pile on top of the coffee table. Days later he finds printed instructions on how to install a security system presumably made by Dazai along with a USB. Chuuya uses it but not before making a Mafia IT personal look through it.

Chuuya attends a meeting regarding the alliance, he puts forth several of the ideas Dazai suggested in the amended documents. Mori-san is pleased and praises Chuuya for his ingenuity. Chuuya spends most of the meeting picking tape off of the papers. The ADA president-Fukuzawa-dono and Kunikida seem fine and don't complain about Dazai disappearing so Chuuya assumes that Dazai talked to them.

He doesn't know for sure though.

Kunikida at one point turns to Chuuya and thanks him for assisting the agency, his tone is heavy with meaning, so Chuuya is quite sure that Dazai talked to them.

He hasn't heard from Dazai though.

Chuuya's squad gains a new recruit-a transfer actually. He's a boy too lanky and weak to be useful in an actual fight, he's already injured- a bandage covers his right eye. He stares at Chuuya with poorly concealed hunger throughout the entire mission briefing. The boy-Nanaoi insists on accompanying Chuuya alongside a few others to dispatch a small gang that's selling on the Mafia's turf.

It's pure instinct to catch a glimpse of brown hair and bandages and leap in front of him when a heavyset man comes charging at him with a knife. Chuuya is fine, he barely got nicked but he makes sure to instill the fear of God on the boy who thinks that purposely antagonizing an enemy is a good idea.

Dazai is there when Chuuya returns to his apartment, exhausted and sweaty. He has his back to Chuuya facing the large windows of Chuuya's apartment and he's eating something that resembles cookies. He doesn't turn or do anything to acknowledge Chuuya when he walks past Dazai to the bathroom just keeps eating his cookie. When he returns there is takeout on the table and Dazai is gone.

Chuuya throws the takeout away and goes to bed.

Chuuya learns to make cookies, they're lumpy and Chuuya forgot to put the chocolate chips in and remembered when the cookies were almost finished. The chocolate melts and runs down the cookies in dark lines. They taste fine-a little dry and hard but Chuuya made them so he likes them by default . He buys a jar specifically for the cookies and places each cookie inside with care.

When he wakes up the next morning he finds several cookies missing. Chuuya irritated sure-but he's more curious about what Dazai thinks about the cookies, he wants to hear an outside opinion. But the thing is he hasn't seen Dazai.

So Chuuya requests a day off, his first in a long time and waits. Dazai has a habit of dropping in every Wednesday and Chuuya makes more cookies to serve as a lure.

Chuuya sits with his back to the door, criss-cross on the floor. He hears the door knob jiggle and the door faint 'woosh' of air that signals the door opening. Footsteps and then a pause, a sharp intake of breath-Dazai's spotted him then- and then sock clad feet made their way to him. Daai settles behind Chuuya legs on either side of Chuuya's and bandaged arms wind tightly around his torso.

"I talked to them." Dazai says, each word formed and pressed against the curve of Chuuya's neck.

"I gathered that." Chuuya replies dryly.

"I liked the cookies." Dazai offers quietly, "The firsts were kinda hard but these ones taste very good. They taste different though, did you change something?."

"Sea salt." Chuuya says. He doesn't turn to face Dazai, though he's itching to. Dazai hums in lieu of a response and presses his face against Chuuya's check. He sighs and his breath smells sweet. One of Dazai's hands comes to rest on Chuuya thigh, idly trailing back and forth. He presses a kiss against Chuuya's cheek.

Chuuya's chest feels too tight and his skin feels close to bursting. He wonders why Dazai hasn't come to see him.

"I could teach you." Chuuya offers, "To make cookies, I mean."

"A slug teaching me?" Dazai says, he huffs in amusement and Chuuya can't help but press back to be closer to the sound. "Yeah." Chuuya says, "I'll teach you to make cookies and you tell me what it means when the agency director says that they refuse to take responsibility for any of your actions that don't pertain strictly to jobs. What are you even doing there for them to say that." Chuuya laughs.

"I don't need to be taught, I can do it all on my own but I'll be there in case a mico-orgainsm can't reach the cabinets." Dazai says, he's grinning at Chuuya with un-concealed delight-utterly shameless.

They end up at opposite ends of the kitchen island. Dazai decides that they both need to try to make a that neither have made before to ensure a level playing ground-"Even though Chuuya's tiny little slug brain can't possibly match my greatness!" Dazai boasts between his attempts to kiss Chuuya. Eventually though Dazai tires of Chuuya's evasion and he presses Chuuya against the cabinet to press a kiss against his cheek. Chuuya allows it but makes sure to wipe off the kiss in front of Dazai, he ignores Dazai's whining and makes his way towards the oven.

Chuuya wonders what will happen once the ability no longer has effect. He's not stupid to entertain the notion that Dazai will simply pretend that nothing has happened, he'll probably go out of his way to humiliate Chuuya as some twisted sort of revenge.

With that in mind he turns to Dazai who's organizing all the ingredients by size and looking....adorable. Chuuya throws both baking pans at him, one by one. Dazai catches both of them without looking up from his organization. Bastard

"Hurry the fuck up." He hisses at Dazai. "What are we making?"

"Sugar cookies!" Dazai announces brightly. He turns to Chuuya and brandishes his phone, Chuuya catches sight of bright pink cookies before Dazai turns the phone to himself and starts scrolling. "I don't think you have some of the ingredients ." He muses.

"Huh, which ones? Lemme see." Chuuya crowded closer to Dazai to peer at his phone, he felt a hand sneak around his waist. Chuuya shoots Dazai a warning glance"Hands above the waist, got it shithead."

Dazai nods and presses closer, he shifts so that he's plastered against Chuuyas back,between telling Chuuya how tiny and chibiko he is, Dazai peppers kisses on the back of his neck. Chuuya allows it.

"Right, we have most of the ingredients and substitutes for the rest, we'll both make a dozen and have someone who we know for sure isn't biased test them." Chuuya states brushing Dazai off him. "Come on, hurry up." he nudges Dazai into place on the opposite end of the counter.

The cookies making process is done silently, they make their cookies and assemble their frosting and decoration quietly then Dazai tries to convince Chuuya to double the heat of the oven to "Half the cooking time of course, stupid chibiko!"

"Fuck off." Chuuya snapped as he shoved the cookies into the oven, double checking the timer and temperature.

"Cibi has been more irritable than usual, I wonder why that is?" Dazai questioned. He grasped Chuuya's elbow and led him to the couches-like this was his house. He delicately guided Chuuya down, pressing against his shoulders until Chuuya dropped all the way down.

"C'mon tell me." Dazai cajoled gently.

"What are going to do after this?"