For someone not meant for this world I'm having a hard time leaving.

Except he didn't live happily ever after. Because life sucked and shit was hard.

Chuuya went to work and made a point of being cordial to everyone and anyone he met because there was no way in fuck he was going to let Dazai ruin his relationship with his own subordinates, damn it! Chuuya could do that all by himself.

He had to negotiate a minor treaty with a small group that was causing trouble in the southern part of the Port Mafia's territory. He didn't have time to do the preliminary research that he usually does or even concoct a plan-too caught up with Dazai. Nanaoi, the new guy offers to do all the pleasantries in his stead.

Chuuya smiles and thanks him warmly, color rushes to the boys cheeks at such a simple gesture and something lodges in Chuuya's throat too sharp to be pity-recognition perhaps or maybe familiarity and embarrassment? Nanaoi mentions offhandedly that he hasn't had time to eat-"but really Chuuya-san it's no big deal! "

The group consisted mainly of kids who seemed to have thought that they were too big for the world. They reminded him of the sheep and Chuuya with their big idea and even bigger ego's, he almost felt regret when he saw the stark terror his very presence seemed to inspire within them. In the end he just shakes them up a little, shows them that the Port Mafia wasn't to be messed with. He is disgusted by the way they trip over each other in their struggle to run away. Stupid chldren.

...They're ideas aren't too bad though.

He takes Nanaoi out to lunch and marvels at the way he slips off of his shy, vigilant shell and talks animatedly about movies. Almost like any other kid.

"Did you know that Gattaca is recognized by NASA as the most plausible sci-fi movie!" Nanaoi exclaims beaming as if that was a personal achievement. "I only got to watch it once though, some guy had a Netflix subscription and he let me watch with him."

"Dazai also likes that movie." Chuuya replies absentmindedly, he stares closely at Nanaoi taking in the dirty supposed-to-be-white sneakers, the thin coat that would in no way protect him from the wind, the way the bandages around his eye is peeling and stained yellow from sweat.

"I'm going shopping." Chuuya announces. He stands up suddenly throwing several bills on to the table. "Come on." Chuuya draws his own coat tight around him and sets a brisk pace down the street. Listening closely to the sound of footsteps rushing to catch up with him.

Nanaoi is quite behind him, clearly trying to figure out a way to tell Chuuya he can't afford to buy anything. Chuuya ignores him and turns sharply down the street to a well-populated street.

"Chuuya-san please wait." Nanaoi calls clearly anxious. His face twisted with worry as he scans the street, he jogs up to Chuuya and places himself between Chuuya and the street. Protecting him from the street and potential attacks. He's loyal then.

"Nanaoi." Chuuya calls, his mind still on the group from before. "Why did you join the Port Mafia."

Nanaoi pauses-visibly uncomfortable, Chuuya doesn't care. "Umm, Well Chuuya-san." He didthers, twisting his hands. Chuuya idly notes that they've both stopped walking, the crowd parts around them.

Nanaoi strengthens, seeming to have come to a decision . " I don't see why that matters." He stares boldly at Chuuya. "I have pledged myself to the Mafia just as you have."

Chuuya nods accepting that and then-"How exactly did you get into my squad." His squad consists mainly of fighters, not people like Nanaoi who is willowy and tall, useless in a fight.

"I'm not supposed to say, it has something to do with my ability though."

Chuuya makes a sound of annoyance and turns swiftly on his heel to make his way down the street.

"Wait!" Nanaoi calls, "Do you still want me to come?"

"Yes" Chuuya calls over his shoulder.

They make their way to a tailor-similar to one that Ane-san had brought him to. Chuuya makes his way straight to a rack filled with hats. He picks one up and turns it over in his hand while keeping an eye on Nanaoi who's wandering around the store looking lost.

Chuuya eyes the stitching on the hat(second hand). His mind briefly wanders to Dazai and wonders if they have caught the mysterious ability user. The mafia will have to step in soon if they don't.

Nanaoi stops in front of a rack stuffed with coats. He fingers the fading edges of his own coat and looks wistfully at the expensive coats tossed onto the mannequin with purposeful carelessness. He's so absorbed with the coat that he doesn't even notice Chuuya sidling up to him.

"I'll buy it for you." Chuuya offers. "I can afford it." Chuuya presses when he sees the startled look on his face.

"Oh no-I couldn't pay you back-." Nanaoi rebutts waving his hands in front of his face.

"You can." Chuuya answers calmly.

Immediately Nanaoi's hackles rise-suspension colors his eyes. His hands wrap around his torso protectively. "I'm not sure what you mean." He asks coldly. He clearly thinks that Chuuya wants something sexual.

"Not like that." Chuuya soothes hastily. "Information-tell me what your ability is." He feels guilty at the look of relief on Nanaoi's face, bile rises at the back of his throat at the thought of what Nanaoi has had to do to survive to have such a thought process.

"Oh." Nanaoi looks both relieved and guilty, Chuuya wants to reassure him that this isn't his fault-he should have worded his request better, someone should have protected Nanaoi from the cruel world.

"I can manipulate time in a limited space, my ability is called Time is distance." Nanaoi puffs up clearly proud. "I still can't tell you why or how I joined your squad." He says. Chuuya nods, feeling as if cold water has been poured down his spine. He forces himself to smile with numb lips and says "Guess I owe you a coat now, huh?"

Waving aside Nanaoi's protests he plucks the coat he was eyeing and makes his way to the register. Nanaoi doesn't have to tell him why he's here, Chuuya already knows-years of Dazai has taught him how to spot manipulation.

He pays and signs off on the coat, directing the staff to tailor it and send it to Nanaoi's requested address. All the while ignoring the cold dread settling in his stomach.

He sends Nanaoi off with a cheery wave and a "See you soon, don't die, Eh?" He's not really joking considering they work in the Mafia but Nanaoi laughs anyway.

Chuuya allows his face to crumble only when he rounds the corner, away from prying eyes. Nanaoi doesn't have to tell him why he joined because it's obvious - he has only on purpose. Chuuya shudders and leans backs against the wall.

Nanaoi is there to stop Chuuya in Corruption.

Chuuya slides down the wall and gazes helplessly at the sky.

The only question is" Why is Mori planning around Dazai.

Why is he not expecting Dazai's presence?