Chapter 7

When I say you can.

His words seemed to ring in my head, as if he was next to me whispering them again and again in my ears.

"Damnit," I muttered, as I took a deep breath. I still sounded nasally from all the crying I had just finished when Damien left half an hour ago, but by looking in the mirror, one couldn't tell that that was what I was doing.

Other than the soreness I felt on my back, and my neck, I looked fine. It's enough to convince anyone that I was doing okay, even Jaden if he asked.

My heart softened at the thought of Jaden. He seemed to be the only normal person I've met in the past few days. And he's just a child. What does that have to say about Damien?

I don't understand why I was so important to Damien, and how my presence here would be a gain for him in anyway. What did he have in store for me? And what gave him the right to keep me here?

I combed out the knots in my hair and left it down. After washing my face and finding a spare, unused toothbrush and toothpaste, I cleaned myself of my morning breath. Drying my hands off and giving myself one last look in the mirror, I hesitantly left the room.

The house was a lot bigger than I had imagined. I realized this as I was now standing downstairs, in the middle of the main hallway, where the stairs branched apart leading down to the kitchen.

Modern tiles marked the floor until I entered a different part of the house, where it changed from marble to brown, stained floorboards. I find it strange, how a gang would be able to afford a place as nice as this.

Weren't gangsters people who struggled to get a long? Isn't that why they performed crimes in the first place.

Or am I being one-sided? Damien must have been able to afford this place because he did illegal things.

"Cara!" I looked up at the sound of my name being called.

Jaden was sitting at the dinner table, poking at his hot pocket lying on his plate. But there were also others who occupied the room. About the eyes of five other people turned to stare at me.

I instantly brought my arms over my chest, forgetting that I had on a thin shirt, and only a thin shirt at that.

There were four other men within my proximity, and one girl at the sink. They quickly looked at me, confirming my presence and went back to their former business. The girl, on the other hand, continued observing me.

Her honey blonde hair was tied in a neat bun over her head, and she wore a blue comfortable robe around her. Her hazel eyes ran over my body, taking me in. Suddenly, with a warm smile on her face, she said, "So this is the Cara you were talking about Jaden."

Jaden hopped off his chair and ran towards me. He grabbed me by my palm and urged me to take a seat next to him, and some other member of the house.