Chapter 6 

When I first opened my eyes, I thought that I was at home. I stared at the ceiling and the warm colors of the bedroom. There was a blanket on top of me, keeping me warm from the morning cold.

Suppose if it was just really a bad nightmare?

If so, then I guess Kaleb was right. I should just forget about London. I don’t want to risk any encounter with those people again, and most importantly, I do not want to run into any man like Damien again.

Goosebumps spread on my arms, and the fine hairs on the back of my neck stood up. It seemed impossible.

Damien was too physical to just be a fragment of my imagination, but the actions he committed were too terrifying, anything too cruel to be considered real. Being sheltered in Southern California, neighbors were aware of the lack of humanity mankind barely possessed, but no one would believe it if they saw it for their own eyes-

“Hello,” a soft voice squealed. Startled, I whipped my head to the side where the sound came from.

In front of me, was no other than a tiny little boy. He was short, as a child would be, and he still had some of that toddler fat in his cheeks. He had his brown hair combed to the side, in a very neat manner. Needless to say, he was adorable.

“H-hello,” my dry throat rasped. I coughed a little, trying to straighten my voice out.

“I’m Jayden,” he said proudly. “I’m four,” he announced, holding up three little fingers instead of four.

It was too perfect.

“What’s your name?” he asked curiously, a hint of a baby voice. The english accent and the lack of pronunciation in some of the vowels made him even more to die for.

“I’m Cara.”

“You’re pretty!” he giggled. My face brightened by a thousand watts.

The smile appeared on my face before I could even register that I was laughing. But the thought struck me, why is a child here? Did they kidnap him too? My smile turned into a frown almost instantly.

I watched as Jayden ran to the edge of the bed, attempting to climb up the side that was almost bigger than him. He threw one leg over, but started slipping down again.

“Uh, oh.”

“Here, let me help you.” I reached for him, but he threw me a pouty face.

“I’m practicing!” he squealed. “Hyah!”

He used the rest of his strength to twist fully onto the bed. Crawling next to me, he sat on top of the sheets and jumped lightly on the mattress, bouncing up and down.

I wasn’t sure if I should ask a four year old about this, but Jayden seemed to be perfectly fine. He wasn’t scared or nervous about where we were...which was…

“Jayden? Do you know where I am?”

“Yes.” He simply replied. “You’re at home!”

“Where is home?”

“London!” I sighed to myself, feeling a little defeated. Maybe asking a four year old wasn’t the smartest idea.

“Jayden, do you know why I’m here?” I asked him.

I remember crying myself to sleep in the dark room, but I don’t remember being moved here. I don’t even know who moved me here.

Jayden looked at me, throwing me a face that said he didn’t know what to do. “I don’t like this game. Do you want to play something else?”