5| Problem

Chapter 5: Problem (Aria's POV)

It's been nearly thirty minutes. I've been standing here doing nothing while his parents basically interrogated him. They made him explain the entire experience two more times and kept asking what was going through his head and whatnot. I kind of felt bad for the guy. 

I stood there with guards on either side of me, who were ready to pounce if I moved the slightest. It's amusing really. I kneeled to tie my laces and they both jumped. It was too hard not to laugh, I should stop jesting. 

"This is ridiculous. I caught a local thief, why am I being interrogated?" Alexander groaned. 

"You are being interrogated because of the way you manhandled that young lady!" his father, the king snapped. 

Even I was a little scared. I straightened up and started taking the situation seriously. I don't think I can get away with what I did. But I just tried stealing his watch, why is it such a big deal? 

"Do you understand what a loss it would have been had she got away with it?" Alexander asked. "This is the last thing grandpa gave to me." 

That's why it's a big deal. 

"I know that. But was it worth showing the entire kingdom how you handle a girl? We didn't raise you to act like this with women, Alexander," his mom said softly. 

"Girl or not, she's a thief. She needs to be punished." 

For what? I couldn't even complete the theft. 

"She didn't steal. You stopped it before it happened. Now, how do you explain that to angry citizens who think the prince manhandles women and doesn't respect them?" his father asked rhetorically. 

"I don't care what the citizens think! She got what she deserved." 

Ouch.

"Really? Bruises on her wrist and arms? No girl deserves that," his mother said. 

That's not true though. I did deserve it, the prince was right in his shoes. They just don't know why I was trying to steal so they can't judge. Somehow, I'm painted out to be the victim. Even though I'm not? 

"Now what on earth can we do?" his father asked, turning to his wife. 

"Is reputation really that important?" Alexander asked. 

"As the royal family of this kingdom, yes," his dad replied. 

The queen hesitated to talk. "There is one way, but... it hasn't been done since your ancestors," she said, turning to Alexander. 

"Are you thinking of...?" The king trailed off questioningly. 

"What?" Alexander huffed in agitation, turning in his seat to glare at me. I flashed him a smile, making him swivel right back. 

"Royals marry royals. But there was a time when that wasn't necessary," his mother explained. 

"So?" he sighed. 

"So, if you marry her, no one has the right to question your behavior. I'm not saying marriage will justify you treating her poorly, it won't. The people will still be angry. But they'll stop asking questions. Nobody meddles with a married couple." 

"Are you suggesting I marry her?" he asked, clearly appalled. 

"I'm suggesting we do something to stop the questions," she sighed. 

"Your mother's right." 

"No, no she's wrong. I cannot marry that... thing." 

I rolled my eyes at his dramatics.