7| Police

Chapter 7: Police (Aria's POV)

"You agreed?" I asked incredulously. I really didn't think he would. Which is partially why I agreed. I thought he would say no and that would mean that my agreeing wouldn't matter. But apparently not. It wasn't just that, I still know what I'm doing. I'm still agreeing because I get a better life here. 

That's incredibly selfish of me, maybe even borderline gold-digger behavior. Perhaps I should have given it more thought. But when you're paying in thousands to stay in an attic, you'd do anything to get out of that situation, trust me. I would do it again. I have my reasons and nobody else should be concerned about them. 

"They talked me into it," he mumbled, staring down at his feet. 

"You're not a child, they can't make you do it. If you really didn't want to, you wouldn't," I shrugged. 

"Are you suggesting I want to marry you?" he scoffed. 

"No, I'm suggesting you agreed to it because the idea of it doesn't appall you as much anymore," I replied. 

"Right," he rolled his eyes. We both stood in awkward silence. 

"You still owe me an apology," I mumbled. 

He clicked his tongue in frustration before saying, "I'm sorry." I didn't look at him, just listened. "I shouldn't have gotten so physical. And I've never done that to a girl before. I don't want to do it again either. But I..." 

"Have anger issues?" I prompted, instantly regretting it. "Sorry, I didn't mean that," I huffed. 

He didn't respond to that. "You can go home." I turned to him in confusion. "We'll call you when you're needed. Someone will come get you." 

"Aria!" We both spun around, catching his mother making her way over. "Right, it's settled now. Anyhow, would you like to join us for dinner tonight?" she asked. 

"Um..." I trailed off hesitantly. I really don't want to go home to my disgrace of an aunt, but I'm afraid of who she might send looking for me. Everybody in the market saw me being taken to the palace, anyone could tell the police if they questioned them. I just hope they don't find me. Because I'm genuinely tired of playing Cinderella. "Sure, I'd love to," I replied, forcing a smile. 

"Great. Dinner is at seven. So... two hours. Alexander, why don't you show her around the estate until then, hmm? Get to know each other a little bit." She smiled at both of us before turning around and going back. 

We glanced at each other, neither of us saying a word. "If you want to look around, I'll ask Mr. Harry to guide you." He turned to leave.

"Where are you going?" I questioned. 

"To dig myself a hole," he said sarcastically. 

"Make sure it's at least seven-foot deep. You're too tall," I smiled. 

He rolled his eyes. "I'm six foot four. Not seven-foot," he said before turning around and leaving. 

I sighed, taking a stroll around the gigantic backyard. It's more of a field. There were plants on one side, a soccer goalpost at one end, a swimming pool on the right side. When the sun had started setting, I headed inside. I lingered around with Mr. Harry, asking questions about the estate, about the family, and whatnot until he told me it was time for dinner and guided me to the dining room. 

The table was long and had too many chairs so I just picked one at random in the middle and sat down. The king and queen came first, sitting at the ends and Alexander followed suit, sitting opposite me.