6| Selfish

Chapter 6: Selfish (Alexander's POV)

"Marry him, and you don't," my mother shrugged. 

Aria opened her mouth to retort but she snapped it shut. "Huh," she mumbled more to herself. 

No, no, no, no, no. She can't say yes. She can't agree to this. Once she agrees, I won't have a choice anymore. I'll have to marry her. It's like peer pressure but with family. Once she agrees, they'll all agree and then they'll make me agree. It would be something I'd just have to do for the name of my family. And while I understand how important that is for my family, it is not suitable for me. 

My eyes met Aria's and I knew she was about to agree. How she was doing it so impulsively, I have no idea. "Don't-" I started. 

"Okay," she nodded. "I'll marry him." 

I sighed, running a frustrated hand through my hair. "How the hell can you agree to that so impulsively? Don't you realize that-" 

"She knows what she's doing," my dad cut in. "She's made her decision, don't influence it, please," he sighed. If somebody sighs one more time, I swear to god. 

I walked over to her but she backed away from me. I groaned, keeping my composure the best I could. "Why the hell are you agreeing to this? You just said you don't want to marry me upstairs," I said through gritted teeth. 

She shrugged, "As the king said, I get a better life living here than the one I have now. And even safety." 

"Safety?" my mom questioned. 

She cleared her throat, "Let's just say I've stolen from some people I shouldn't have stolen from." 

"All right, stop," I said. "Stop, stop, stop. I will not marry her, no. This has absolutely no logic behind it, I cannot marry her! I don't even know her!" 

"Give us a minute," my dad said to Aria. 

"Well, where do I...?" she trailed off questioningly. 

"Mr. Harry," my father nodded. Mr. Harry then guided her out into the backyard and kept her company there while my parents both turned to me. 

"I can't-" 

"Alexander, just think about it," my mom said quickly. "Just think about it and take your time. Weigh the pros and cons." 

"This isn't about the pros and cons! You're asking me to marry a thief that I caught on the street that I know nothing about!" 

"She's more than just a thief, Alexander, get that thought out of your head," my dad sighed. "She's a human being too. She's been a thief for years in our kingdom but nobody reports her, there must be a reason for that, right? She must have her reasons, try to understand her. Try to know her," he explained. 

"But I don't want to know her. I have no desire to." 

"Then build the desire to," my mom shrugged. 

"Are you serious?" I scoffed. 

"Alexander... She is loved by everyone in the kingdom. Even though she robs people. You understand how absurd that is, don't you? And because people love her in Azura, you could get yourself and our family in a lot of trouble for the harm you've caused her. It's too risky. Just make a compromise for your family's sake." 

"This compromise will last me my entire life, you realize that, right?" I asked. 

"You may actually end up liking her," my mother shrugged. "She seems like a nice person. I'm sure she's been through her share of trouble which has made her the person she is. Just think about it, please? And if it really doesn't work, if you can't tolerate her presence, we'll have the marriage annulled."