17| Pretty

Chapter 17: Pretty (Aria's POV)

I have no idea how Alexander found out about my situation at home. Nobody knows so I have no idea who he had his guards question. The only person that knows is Riya. But I know for a fact that she wouldn't out me like that. 

Anyhow, it's now the next day and I'm just coming back from a fitting for my dress tonight. It'll be altered and sent to the palace soon and until then, I have time to kill. 

"Um, Mrs. Phoenix?" I asked as we stepped into the palace. 

"Yes, honey?" she smiled sweetly. 

I almost feel guilty for the lies I'm spewing. She has no idea why I'm really marrying her son. "Thank you for paying for the dress. But I can't accept it. So, may I please pay you back for it?" 

"Sweetheart, that's your engagement dress. It's a gift," she nodded. 

"Then... after the party, can I please give it back to you? It cost a lot, I can't take that." 

"Aria." She turned to me. "You're the bride of this house. Soon, you'll be my daughter-in-law. And if I don't buy gifts for you, then who will, hmm? I'm honored to be buying that for you. Please, accept it." 

"But-" 

"No excuses. Now, go on. Start getting ready for tonight." She kindly patted my cheek before going to start getting ready herself. 

I sighed picking at the skin around my nails. That I just got done for the party. I huffed, forcing myself to stop. I cracked my knuckles while walking upstairs. I opened the door to my room and thought in the little bit of time that I have to kill, I could try walking in heels again now that my ankle is doing a lot better. I opened the walk-in closet and grabbed the gold heels that would match my dress. I sat on the edge of the bed and was about to put them on when my door swung open. 

"I'm here to make sure you started getting ready." 

I glanced at the clock. "I still have two and a half hours?" 

"It'll take two and a half hours," he replied. "And what do you think you're doing with the heels?" 

"Trying to walk in them, Alexander. What do you think?" 

"I think you're stupid. You just started walking better, you want to wear heels again? No." 

"But they go so well with the dress. I want to wear them." 

"You can't wear them. Even my mother said so." 

"But they look so pretty," I frowned, looking down at the heels in my hand. 

"You can wear them another time. We attend parties, balls, and ceremonies regularly," he sighed. 

"But I don't even have flats that go with the dress," I whined. 

"Then find flats that go with the dress," he shrugged. 

"Please? I'll walk around as little as possible." 

"You have to walk the most. You have to meet all the guests around the entire palace, not to mention your grand entrance from the staircase." 

"Oh no. Who am I entering with?" 

"Me, of course," he smirked. 

"How unfortunate," I mumbled under my breath but I knew he heard it. 

"If you wear heels and stumble or fall on the stairs, everyone will see. It's not worth it." 

"But if you're walking with me, you won't let that happen right?" I asked, pulling on the best puppy eyes I could. Which is not something I'm used to. I'm a thief. I don't plead for anything, I just take it. And nobody finds out. "Right?" I insisted.