Chapter 9: Again

Norah

"Again."

Norah panted, her anger unfurling from small flames into a forest fire.

A finger jabbed into her spine and she thought of the hundreds of times Renora had done the same thing. Norah's fingers curled for the punch. But if she lashed out, darkness would follow and she could hurt Holland and Kaiden in ways healers couldn't fix.

Silently, Norah exhaled, killing the flames.

"No," Holland said sternly, hovering behind her because he knew she hated it. "We're trying to get you mad, stop stomping it out. Norah, get mad!"

"No." She was plenty angry, but acting on it felt like giving in. Like she would be surrendering her only scraps of control. She turned to him. "You're Holland, I can't get mad at you."

He whacked the bun atop her head. "You've been mad at me before."

"But I've never tried to swing at you or start yelling, it's just so disrespectful." She gestured to Kaiden. "You too."

"It's good to know we get more respect than the gods," Kaiden said in that calm, easy way of his. He moved behind her and Norah felt scrutinized by the brothers like she had when Renora circled her.

"Again," Kaiden said and the air hissed behind her.

Norah ducked, her frustration and annoyance igniting. Their attacks were slow, enough for any amateur to dodge them. She could handle faster and they knew that. And they knew she hated hovering, so every attack one of the brothers was behind her.

Each day they trained together. Sometimes, if one of the brothers were busy, Bronn or Mor joined but the brothers were both instructors and preferred to be the ones outside with her.

Rima was there too, of course, sliding her invisible tail at her feet to make Norah trip. Galeur and Kaiden's dragon, Zera, usually watched from a distance for any signs of the tendrils. But Holland had made her wear short sleeves specifically for that. If the tendrils were slashing like rope in a storm then they'd have to be more vigilant.

Holland flicked her head and she hissed, whipping around only to have Kaiden do the same thing.

Norah lunged for Holland's hand, but he dodged her with fluid ease. Darkness rushed to her fingers and she knew in that split second that she could do it. She wanted to. But then she was spinning, trying to smack Kaiden's hand away like a pesky gnat.

"You do it wrong."

Norah clenched her jaw. Three days. She hadn't seen Etin for three days since her offer.

"Get mad, Norah!" Holland shouted. The brothers circling her.

Razor-sharp pain sliced her ears as Etin said, in a voice his voice cold like icy rivers, "I have come to a decision. Get rid of them."

Norah tried to push off answering him, knowing she couldn't tell the god to come back later. She focused on dodging and controlling the rage blazing inside her until a fist appeared in the corner of her eye. One she knew she would have sensed coming.

Her head turned, and she used the momentum pushing her aside to stick out her foot and trip Kaiden. But when she blinked, his foot was gone and Kaiden was on her left, not right.

The second punch didn't hurt as much as it could have, but still hard enough Norah's teeth sang.

She twisted out of Holland's grasp, only to turn and slam straight into his chest because he had slid around her. Norah stepped back and clenched her jaw.