my craigslist breakfast club

(hi i'm pondering re-writing IJU ?? any advice/ feedback would be appreciated bc some of the POV switches and plot points make me angry asjhj)

pls feel free to share ur opinion (but nicely bc i WILL sob) as i am torn at the moment 😔

***

Detention is fucking awkward, to say the least.

Awkward glances dominate the space. I'm in the mid-back row, one of my fingers lazily tugging at the elastic over my shoulders that landed me here in the first place. My eyes scout the room.

People glance at me, glance away from me. Damien Cortez and Soren Choi are next to each other, glances and quick typing filling their space. E Maxwell is leaning back in his chair, eyes fluttered shut. Meanwhile, Riya Khatri is a desk away from me, having strode into this place only a couple of minutes ago.

The entire space feels so fucking awkward. The only person I'm really familiar with is Damien, primarily because we always seem to be in the same space. Occasionally around him, he's the only person in my parameter that I don't feel like fucking punching at any given moment.

Soren Choi trills his lips, Riya Khatri clicks a ballpoint pen, Damien Cortez chews on his bottom lip.

E Maxwell remains seemingly at peace, eyes fluttered shut as though he's breathing in ethereal.

No one says a word.

One detention, possibly more. If we end up keeping our heads down for the rest of the year, today is likely to be our last day in this room. My lips purse. That being said, the school always finds something.

One misstep can land you right back in here.

From the front of the room, Ms. DeVos leans against her desk, scrolling through her computer as her expression remains blank, drawn into lines that scream tedious

I've never understood detention, really. Stare at a wall for a few moments as a punishment? While doing nothing productive? If anything, the whole concept is counterproductive. A useless consequence is bound to lead to more offenses.