parties, rings, and almosts

i'm excited for this chapter pls

***

Ever since the day I held onto Soren Choi at the brightly lit cemetery, there almost seems to be a tentative connection between the two of us.

He opened up to me. It was scary as hell that he looked genuinely sad, genuinely upset for the first time. My lips purse as I continue making my way down the hallway. And after that day, Soren hasn't really talked about it much.

He did tell me that he's lightly talking to his parents about it, though. As in, finally opening up that wound that seems to permeate through their family. 

Things seem to be better. Just slightly. The sun seems to be peeking out from behind the clouds again. Soren's smiling again. His smile is the type of smile you'll see from miles away, the type of smile that causes everything in you to stop.

Shaking my head, I continue moving forward, shoes brushing against the tiled flooring, eyes skipping around the hall.

"So, that party you were talking about!" It's a familiar chirp, Soren falling into step next to me, lips quirking upwards in a grin as I glance around, my eyes meeting his. His eyes are bright, oversized white polo tucked into jeans (paint-splattered, of course.)

My lips quirk upwards, eyes brightening as he glances up at me. "What party?" I ask, eyes flickering towards his. 

"Dumbass," Soren says, nudging me to the side, grin widening. "Your party. The one that Santiago forced you to throw."

I blink, nodding quickly. "The war-flashbacks are coming back to me now." With that, Soren laughs, a bright, fully-wide laugh. The sound is everything. In fact, I hadn't realized how long it's been since I've heard him laugh laugh. Only a day, really, but it feels like more.

"You ready for it?" I ask, gently, as Soren's shoulder brushes against mine, his eyes flicking up to mine as we plow down the hallway. 

Grin unfailing, Soren chirps in response. "Always."