dreizehn

Thirteen || Chores

Thirteen || Chores

My eyes open and I place my hand over my face to cover my eyes from the light. Rays of the sun make their way into my room through my curtains. I bring the blankets closer to my face, wanting to fall back asleep again.

My peace is disturbed by a loud knocking at my door. "Y/n!" A voice calls.

"What!" Eren walks in the room with a cloth tied around his head. "Hahah! You're wearing a diaper on your head just like the corporal!" I joke.

"He made me wear this!" He says looking over to the side. "He said you need to get up and start cleaning." I look over at my clock and realize that I'm late.

"Okay, Eren. I'll be right there!" He nods and walks out of my room. I groan as I climb out of my bed. I pull up my pants and button my shirt. I struggle at first buckling the straps, but I get it eventually.

I walk out of my room to go to the cafeteria to grab a quick breakfast and then clean. "Hey, Sasha!" I say tiredly.

"Dang! I could have had your food if you didn't come down here."

"Ha! Well I'm here now!" I grab my plate and eat my food right in front of her. "You can have the bread." I say. She smiles and take the food from me.

"Hey Eren!" Sasha says with a mouthful. I turn around to face the emerald green eyed boy.

"Hey Sasha! Y/n, I the corporal said he wants you in his office." I sigh. I'm gonna get in trouble for being late.

"Y/n, you're getting in so much trouble. I mean you had to go to his office yesterday, your first day here, and now you have to go there again!" Sasha blabbers.

"I know, Sasha. I keep getting in trouble." Eren snickers and walks with me down the hallway.

"I have to get some supplies from the closet by the corporals office, I might as well walk with you." I nod as we make our way closer to his office.

"Is he mad because I'm late?" I ask.

"He might be. I know I would if I get someone to find a person and they still take their time." He says only making me worry. By now, we've made our way to the door of the corporal's office. "Well, good luck Y/n." Eren says walking over to the closet.

I take a deep breath and knock on the door. "Name and business." He says on the other side.

"Y/n, sir. Eren told me you need to see me."

"Right, come in." I open the door and step into his office. The corporal was sitting at his desk with his head down doing paper work. "Shut the door behind you." I do as I'm told and take a seat right in front of his desk.

I notice that the corporal has dark circles under his eyes. "Are you okay?" I ask. He looks up at me and then back at his paperwork.

"Cadet, explain to my why it takes so long for you to start doing your chores. I send a kid to come get you and you still take your sweet time." He says, completely ignoring my question.

"Well I had to get ready and then get breakfast." He sighs and continues to do his work, refusing to look up at me. "Capt-"

"Cadet!" He interrupts, "I told you yesterday that you have work to do. You're still sitting in that chair. I'm doing my work, that kid Eren is doing his work, why can't you do yours?" He says in an irritated tone.

"I'm sorry." I say, getting up to go to the closet by his office. "Hey, Eren." I say at the boy, stacking supplies on top of each other to carry back to his room.

"Did anything happen?" He asks ready for some tea.

"Not really, The corporal looks really tired. I don't think he wanted to deal with me." I say. Eren looks at me surprised and carries his supplies back to the room I was cleaning.

"I'll try my best to clean the room. I don't want to pile too much work on you." He says, walking away. I smile and pick up the supplies I need to clean the corporal's office. I walk back into his room, his eyes still not leaving the papers he's working on.

I take a mop and start to clean his floors. He glances up at me, and then stand from his desk. "Cadet, you may clean better than everyone else, but you still suck." He spits at me. He snatches the mop from me showing me how he mops the floors.

"Corporal, with all due respect, I don't see how the way I mop is a problem. I still get the floor clean, do I not?" I ask in a ruder tone than I meant to ask in. He glared at me and throws the mop back at me.

"Brat, I really thought you weren't as bad as those other kids." He mutters and ges back to do his work.

I mentally face palm at my rudeness towards the corporal. "Captain I'm sorry." I say, getting back to work. He ignores me. I finish moping the floors and make my way over to his windows. They were already crystal clear. I look down at his table, which was spotless. His office is already clean. I think to myself. There's no point in me cleaning this.

I push these thoughts to the back of my head, knowing that if I don't do as I'm told that I'll just get in real trouble. I take a sponge and wipe away at the window, not knowing what exactly I'm cleaning on it. I go around his office and clean any surface that I see, dust on it or not. I finish and wipe the non-existent sweat off of my forehead.

"I'm going to go to Eren now." I say. He doesn't look up at me. "How long do you plan on ignoring a soldier?" I ask crossing my arms. Still, no response. I scoff and storm out of his office.

Note: I planned on releasing this story as a whole when I finish, however, I want to see some comments on the story and know if I should continue. I plan to write another chapter about everyday!
-M