dreiundzwanzig

Twenty Three || Why Not Me?

The lightening coming from Eren blinds me for a moment. Just a second later, Eren screams and runs towards the female titan.

"No, Eren!" I scream. The whole point of this mission was to keep Eren safe. I'm still here so I should be trying to protect him right now. I get up off of the ground. I step forward on my right foot. I had hit my left ankle. I try to step forward with my left leg, but a wave of pain makes it's way through my leg.

I try my best to ignore it. I limp forward towards Petra's body. I look up and watch as Eren throws a punch at the titan. She dodges his attack and kicks him in the stomach. He punches her and her back lands against a tree.

Eren continues to throw punches at the titan, but she still manages to dodge them all. She runs away from him deeper into the forest, where I cannot see them.

I curse under my breath and try to walk just a step closer to find out what's going on. "Cadet," A deep voice calls behind me. I spin around quickly to find Captain Levi. I bring my right hand up to my chest and salute to him.

"Captain.." I whisper. Tears well up in my eyes as he looks down at the corpse of his fallen soldier. "I am so sorry."

"Can you explain to me what happened?" He asks me. I nod and tell him the story while he was away. I explain how the female titan had followed behind us in their human form, and then attacked us.

"Why am I still here?" I ask. "Why did it have to be them?" I whisper.

"Cadet, we knew the dangers coming into this. They died for humanity. That's the best thing any of you could ever wish for." He pats my shoulder. "Where is Eren?"

"He's back there fighting the female titan." I say pointing behind me.

"Does your gear work?" I look down at the gear on my waist.

"Yes." I say.

"The let's go get Eren." The captain launches himself into the air and I follow behind him.
As we came closer to the titans, the earth below us started to shake and the screams that came from their throats became louder.

"We're close." The captain says to me. I nod and continue following him. I hear maneuver gear from beside me.

"No, Mikasa." I whisper. Mikasa was flying through the air in heat gear, headed towards the titans.

"EREN!" I hear Mikasa call.

"Mikasa!" I scream and land on a branch next to her. "What's wrong?" I look down at what she was staring at. Eren's titan was decapitated and it looked as if a bite was taken out of the back of his neck. "No, don't tell me-" I gasp.

Mikasa clenches onto her sword and moves forward on her gear. "We need to go after the titan." The corporal says to me. "We have to protect Eren." I listen to the captain and follow behind Mikasa. She was going really fast so it was hard to catch up to her.

"Give Eren back!" She screeches. She cuts at the face of the titan. Mikasa started to cut away at all of the titan's body parts. It hurt to watch as my friend lost her mind over the loss of her brother. Blood covered her face as she continued to cut away at the titan. She sliced the back of the titan's legs, causing the female to fall to the ground.

Mikasa tries to cut at the nape, but the titan's hand was covering it. The titan had hardened the skin over her hand which caused Mikasa's blades to break.

"Mikasa, please!" I call out to her.

"I know that Eren is alive!" She yells. The titan gets back up and starts running away. The corporal grabs Mikasa and brings her back to where I was.

"Fall back, Mikasa. We need to stay at this distance. The titan seems tired as she is not running as fast as she previously did." The corporal looks over at the girl. "Is Eren dead?"

"No, he's alive. This titan is smart. The goal was to capture Eren. If she really wanted Eren to die, she would have crushed him."

"Our new goal," The captain says, "Is to get Eren back. Don't worry about killing the titan." I listen to his words. I don't have much energy left to fight, so there was no point in me arguing.

Mikasa heads down towards the titan's left leg and I get down towards her right. Levi stays right behind the titan. She swiftly turns around and attempts to punch the corporal. She misses the punch and the captain cuts her arms and then her eyes.

He flies down at the titan and cuts all around her body, making her fall to the ground. She keeps her nape covered with her hand. The corporal was far too fast for the titan. She had no time to harden her skin before he had cut her. The corporal continues to cut away at the titan, causing her arms to go limp down at her sides.

Mikasa attaches her gear onto the shoulder of the titan and swoops in to cut the nape. "Stop!" The corporal yells. Mikasa doesn't listen and comes closer and closer to the titan. A giant hand comes right next to Mikasa, but Levi kick the hand. I hear a snap and look over to see that the corporal had twisted his ankle. "Tch."

He cuts at the face of the titan again, this time around her mouth. The muscles that he cut away from cause the female to open her mouth. Inside is Eren covered in titan saliva. "Ereh!" Mikasa calls. Levi grabs the boy. "We need to get out of here." Mikasa looks down at the boy in his arms. "He's alive, but he's filthy." The captain says. I follow behind Levi and get on my horse, retreating from the forest.