3| 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙𝑠 𝑓𝑜𝑜𝑑 𝑐𝑎𝑘𝑒

┌────── ⋆⋅✦⋅⋆ ──────┐

¢нαρтєя тняєє

After getting screened by Liam's bodyguards, Mrs. Owen entered Liam's house holding the hand of a shy, three-year-old Lele and a pink duffle bag. Bear followed behind them, sniffing the toddler, who in turn looked enthralled by the dog that was almost her height.

When Lele caught sight of Liam, she ran to him with a squeal, long, brown curls running with the wind, wrapping her arms tightly around his legs.

"Ami!"

Liam laughed, lifting his niece up to his chest, "Lele!"

Mrs. Owens smiled at the sight of the two and placed the pink duffle bag on a kitchen stool. By now, Bear was barking, trying to gain attention and Mikael was in a kitchen stool, eating his quesadilla, head bobbing to the music reverberating in his Beats headphones.

Liam turned to the toddler wrapped around his neck, "Where is mummy?"

Lele, in return, gave Liam a bright toothy grin, as she squealed, "I don't knoww,"

Now, Mrs. Owens became uncomfortable as she cleared her throat, eyes somber with a seriousness that Liam had a pretty good idea of its subject, "This is what we needed to talk about,"

Liam moved his gaze to Maximo, who nodded and approached Lele, "Hey Lele, want to go swimming with me and Bear?"

Lele peeked her head out of Liam's neck and pulled away from his chest, gesturing that she wanted to come down. Liam let her down and she waddled to Maximo, confusion on her face, "Who eh Bwear?"

Maximo gestured to the golden retriever, who panted in excitement at the word 'swimming', her favourite pastime to do. Lele's dark blue orbs widened in excitement as well as Maximo led her to the pool, retrieving the floats and pool towels on the way. When the two were a safe distance away, Liam turned to the foreign woman, running his hand through his hair.

"Liliana Kendricks was found in her apartment, dead. An overdose on heroin," The woman announced matter-of-factly. Liam felt his breath hitch in shock.

Although she was nothing but a pain in his ass, Lilly was still his sister. But, only one thing was on Liam's mind, "Did Lele see?"

Mrs. Owens shook her head, "Fortunately, no. The neighbour called 911 after smelling burning rubber from the apartment, which was heroin. Lele was in the building's preschool at the time,"

Even Anthony let out a sigh of relief, knowing the benefits of that situation. Liam would hate for Lele to be traumatized by the sight of her mother dead by her own dangerous habit.

"Since Mr. Kendricks is in jail and will not be released anytime soon, and you are Lele's legal guardian, unless you specify otherwise, Lele Kendricks is to be left in your care," The stout woman recited from papers removed from a manila folder.