HP: Creating Your OC

Congrats on deciding to make a Harry Potter fanfic! Now you gotta start on the hard part and create your OC! 

(Note: Some things here will be copy-pasted from my previous chapter "PJO: Creating Your OC" because some topics like age, height, etc. don't need to change)

Here are the basics:

1. Your OC's name

2. Your OC's gender

3. Your OC's species (human, half-breed, etc)

4. Blood Status

5. House (if they're from Hogwarts)

6. Height

7. Age and date of birth

8. Appearance/Faceclaim

9. Some personality traits 

10. Flaws

STEP ONE: NAMES

If you name your OC something like "Ebony Darkness Riddle Snape Slytherin" then I will find your house and take away your internet privileges 🙂

Just like with the Percy Jackson series, almost all the names in Harry Potter have a special meaning. 

You can have a name that connects to your character's personality trait or an actual physical trait they have. 

Picking a name could also depend on who their parent is or what family they came from. If your OC is an Evans, then they would probably have a floral name because Mr. and Mrs. Evans two daughters were named after flowers (Lily and Petunia respectively). 

When you pick the name for your OC, make sure it makes sense with their background. I've seen Malfoy!OCs named something plain and common like "Emily". It's a lovely name, but I really doubt Narcissa and Lucius would name their kid that. They're more likely to name their kid after a star, or give them a fancy, unique name like what they'd done with Draco. 

If your OC is a muggle-born, then they might have a more common and normal-sounding name. Also, I got this piece of advice from Kookiejemg and they said that names like "Tyler" or "Britney" are actually uncommon for British people. So yeah, don't use American names unless your OC has an American background.

Which means you probably shouldn't use the names "Makayleigh" or "Brinleigh" or whatever the fuck my fellow Americans are pulling out of their asses  😭 😭 😭

(If you have that name, then I'm so sorry)

ALSO! If your OC is part of the Black family, then they would be named after a star because that's their family tradition. The only thing that would be exempt from this if your OC was a child of Sirius. Sirius hates his family, remember? He even ran away from them and was mostly likely abused by his parents. Why the fuck would he bother following his family's tradition and name his kid after a star? 

STEP TWO: GENDER

Pretty simple. Male, female? Transgender? Neutral? Non-binary? The list goes on, but you get it.

STEP THREE: SPECIES

Is your OC a human? If so, are they a Muggle or a witch/wizard? Are they a hybrid like Fleur Delacour or Professor Flitwick? You get to decide, but if you choose to make them a hybrid, you better do some extra research on the sort of species you picked from.