Chapter 5

A week had passed since Silica's final encounter with Patrick, and she had been ordered by Erwin himself to remain under care by Doctor Reos until the bullet wound she sustained during the banquet was fully healed, due to the location in which it entered her body.

At present, she laid in bed with a book seated on her lap. However, instead of submersing herself in its literary contents, her gaze was lazily aimed for the window beside her. The sun was in the process of setting, casting a warm orange glow into her dorm room. She was inexplicably bored, and now knew just how torturous being confined to a bed felt. She almost felt bad for Brutus. Almost.

She stared out at the clouds for what felt like an eternity before the sound of her door opening drew her away from the window, and she was surprised to see Erwin staring back at her as he entered the room.

"Good evening, Silica," he greeted briefly. "How are you feeling?"

"Perfectly fine." She offered him a peeved look, to which he smiled loosely at as he approached the side of her bed.

"You say that every time I come to visit." Erwin pointed out. There was a teasing tone to his voice that made Silica's frown deepen.

"Because it's true every time." Silica justified. Erwin simply shook his head and sat down.

"Then I can safely guess that you're not going to like the news I'm about to share with you."

Silica felt her stomach drop, and she didn't have to hear what he had to say to know what he meant.

"It's the Expedition to reclaim the Wall, isn't it?" She guessed. Erwin nodded once. "When is it?"

"Preparations have been under way since last week," Erwin revealed. She felt an angry bubble form in her throat. "The Survey Corps is set to leave in two days."

"Two days?" Silica didn't want to believe him. "Why are you just now telling me this? If I would have known, I would have already been up and with my squad —"

"I'll stop you there, Silica," Erwin cut her off with a hand risen in front of him. "You aren't going anywhere."

"What?" She offered him the most dumbfounded look she could muster. "The hell you mean I'm not? Who else is going to lead my squad?"

"Brutus is your second in command, is he not?" Erwin's voice remained level despite Silica's rising tone. "You're still recovering, and McManus is more than happy to cover for you until you are back to your best."

"This is horse shit, Erwin," Silica spat densely. "I should be out there with the rest of you. This is my job too."

"I'm well aware of that," Erwin placed a ginger hand on her knee, and gave it a squeeze. "But you must understand that this is in your best interest. You must give your body it's full opportunity to heal, or you'll be no use to anybody."

Silica was struck silent at that, and was left to slump frustratedly against her headboard. She held Erwin's stare for a few more beats before finally casting her scowl to her lap.

"I understand your frustration," Erwin spoke quietly. "I really do. It frustrates me as well that you cannot be there. But you have to give yourself time."

"But I'm fine, Erwin," Silica gripped the fabric of her duvet in her hands. "The hole is all but mended at this point. I'm set to get the stitches out in a few days."

"I know," Erwin sighed. "But I will not allow you to be brought back into the fray until you fall back into the routine of training. I refuse to risk your safety, and so does everyone else."