Chapter 26

"We're here."

Silica and Hange stood before the alleged front door of Kenny Ackerman. Curtains draped the windows, and there appeared to be no light coming from inside. Silica chewed on the inside of her cheek as she stared at the numbers on the door that matched the piece of paper in hand. She didn't know whether to knock or turn tail and run. All she could seem to do was root herself in place and stare.

"Silica?" Hange's voice sounded far away, and she didn't feel her as she placed a hand on her shoulder. "Can you hear me? Are you alright?"

The words caught in Silica's throat, and it felt as if her jaw was wired shut. She didn't know what to make of this new found feeling in her chest, but she knew for certain that she didn't like it.

"Silica," Hange tried again, and gave her a gentle shake. "We don't have to go any further."

Finally, after another beat of prolonged silence, Silica finally found it within herself to turn her head in Hange's direction. She was met with a concerned expression, and when their eyes met, Hange offered her a crooked, sympathetic smile.

"It's alright," she encouraged. "Really."

"We..." Silica looked down, unsure. "We came all this way."

"Maybe this is as far as we needed to go," Hange's hand still sat on Silica's shoulder, and she gave it a supportive squeeze. "Maybe if you change your mind later we can try again."

"No," Silica shook her head sternly and faced her father's door once more. She took in a steadying breath. "I have to at least try."

Hange didn't utter a word of protest as Silica walked out from under her hand. She watched silently as Silica slowly approached the door, and as she rose her trembling fist to knock.

Her knuckles rasped against the door quickly, and she took a nervous step back as she awaited an answer. It felt like hours had gone by in just a few short minutes, and as Silica began to hear shuffling from the other side, she found herself suddenly grateful to have Hange standing behind her.

"Who is it and what the hell do you want?" An older man's voice sounded from beyond the door, and the sound of it made Silica's stomach drop.

She blinked, and threw Hange a look. "My name is Silica... Ackerman."

Silica held her breath when there was no response, and just when she thought there wouldn't be, the sound of Kenny's door unlocking made it to her ears.

The door opened slowly, and Silica continued to hold her breath in her lungs as the moonlight illuminated his face. He was significantly taller than she was, appeared to be middle aged, and had dark slicked back hair. He had wrinkles around his piercing eyes and a thin beard lined his jaw and chin. The look on his face was stern, and if Silica didn't know any better, she'd even say it looked as if he recognized her.

"Did you say..." his voice sounded raspy. "Ackerman?"

"Yes," Silica nodded once. "Are you Kenny?"

The man before her was silent again, and slowly his eyes traveled passed Silica toward Hange and back again.

"If you want to talk, you'll have to do it alone." Was his blunt response, and at his words, Silica looked over her shoulder to meet Hange's waiting stare.

"I'll be right out here." She encouraged with a reassuring smile. Her worried eyes deceived her grin, but Silica nodded anyway.

Without another word, Kenny took a step to the side to allow Silica entrance. She stepped inside quickly whilst Kenny shut the door behind her, and watched him tentatively as he motioned for her to sit at the wooden table beside the staircase.