Chapter 6

The two days leading up to the Expedition came and went in a hurry, and Silica felt a sense of familiarly in the bustling courtyard she walked through. It was barely dawn as she roamed base, and was only up so early because she hadn't gone to bed the night prior. Anxiety was hard at work in her stomach, and she let her legs lead her toward the med bey, where she already knew Brutus was, readying his med pack and going through any last tasks before they were to set out for Karanes.

Silica rasped her knuckles against the doorframe of the med bey, and watched as Brutus quickly whipped around to see whom it had been to infiltrate his solitude. He held a clipboard and a wooden pencil in his hands.

"Silica!" He sounded surprised. "What're you doing up so early? You should be in bed."

"Too nervous to sleep," Silica confessed as she approached him. She could tell that he was in a frenzy by how wrinkled his usual flawless button down shirt looked. "This is your first Expedition after your injuries, and the first Expedition with the new Elite Advancement. God only knows what's going to happen while you're out there."

"Oh yeah, tell me about it," Brutus ran a hand through his hair. "I've never had a problem with going out on Expeditions before, and have led my own squad in the past, but for some reason, I'm an anxious wreck."

"I wish I could be there," Silica sighed, and looked down. "I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if any of you came back hurt... or worse."

"I don't want you to worry, Sil," he put a hand on her shoulder comfortingly. "It's a short trip, just to assess the damages of Wall Maria, then we'll be back to create a follow up plan on how we're going to fix it."

"It sounds a lot simpler than it actually is, Brutus," Silica pointed out. "You have to get all the way through the District and God only knows how many Titans are swarming Shinganshina, which is in tight quarters as it is already without them there."

"Just try not to think about it," Brutus encouraged, and motioned that she follow him out of the med bey. She complied. "Why don't you come see off the rest of the squad? I'm sure they'll be put at ease after seeing you on your feet."

"I don't see why not." Silica agreed, and thus they were off to the mess hall.

The duo entered wordlessly, and Silica could make out Elite Advancement instantly. They all appeared to be talking amongst themselves, and looked to have noticed her just as quickly as she had noticed them.

"Captain!" Monica was the first to shoot out of her seat, and saluted her excitedly. The others followed suit. "It's great to see you up and about."

"What kind of captain would I be if I didn't come to see my squad before you leave?" She asked, and waved a had in gesture that they seize in their salutes. They did so without complaint, and Nicholas was kind enough to bring up a chair for her to sit with them.

"It's unfortunate that you won't be out on the field with us," Quinton sounded genuinely disheartened. "Given this is our first Expedition as a group."

"I agree," Monica looked at the table sadly. "Even if it is just a reconnaissance mission. I would have liked to see you in action."

"I'm sure everything will work out during my absence," Silica tried her best to reassure them. "Just focus on bringing your asses back alive, you hear?"

"Yes, Captain." They replied in unison to her.

"Silica." Levi's voice drew her gaze toward the doorway of the mess hall, and with a motion of his hand, she was on her feet.

"I'll be seeing you," Silica turned back to her squad. "Don't disappoint me."

She was given farewell salutes, and offered Brutus one final look of reassurance before meeting Levi by the door. He didn't hesitate to take hold of her wrist and drag her to the side of the building, and once they were out of eyeshot from any other nearby soldier, Levi tugged her into a tight hug.