Chapter 18

It was nearing noon the next day, and a stiff breeze blew threw the laundry Silica was in the midst of hanging in the yard beside her house. She had been anxious all morning whilst she waited for Nanaba's arrival, and found herself cursing the woman for keeping her waiting.

She pursed her lips as she hung a bed sheet from the clothesline, and the sound of horse hooves against the ground drew her gaze toward the dirt road leading out of the forest. Her eyes narrowed subtly at the sight of Nanaba riding atop her horse, and turned her body completely to face her with her arms crossed as she drew closer to the house.

Silica could tell by the look on Nanaba's face that she was uncomfortable, however she remained apathetic and unmoving as she watched the Scout dismount.

"Mike told me you wanted to discuss our living arrangement," Nanaba cut right to the chase in her visit, and Silica merely hummed in acknowledgment. "And the custody agreement."

"Yeah," she confirmed whilst turning back to her laundry. "What exactly are your intentions with Mike? Other than being a home wrecker, that is."

"Silica, I really don't appreciate—"

"I didn't ask what you appreciated," Silica cut her off with a side eye. "I asked what your intentions were."

Nanaba released an unsteady breath through her nose. "I understand the circumstances are terrible and our relationship looks like nothing more than a drunken hookup, but I've always cared very much for Mike and will do whatever I have to for you to let him see his child."

Silica remained silent for a beat, and chewed on the inside of her lip as she straightened out the damp shirt she had just hung up. Her brow was in a permanent arch of annoyance, and she exhaled briefly before offering Nanaba an absent glance.

"I want to make one thing very clear," she said, sounding stern. Her tone made Nanaba straighten up. "I don't want you alone with my kid. It's shitty enough that I have to compromise and have you around them at all, so I don't need you rubbing off on them more than you're already going to."

Silica paused as she lessened the distance between them to stand directly in front of Nanaba. She started straight into her eyes for only a moment before swiftly grabbing the collar of her shirt, and the force in which she pulled Nanaba toward her made her gasp.

"And if you ever up and leave Mike after this I will fucking end you," Silica spat, voice no higher than a mean whisper. "I never want my kid to come home asking why one of their inevitable parents left them. You got that? You made the choice to worm your way in here, and now you have to pay the price."

Nanaba stared wide eyed with her breath held in her lungs, and managed a very quick nod to Silica's words. A moment of silence passed between them as Silica stared at her, and only when Silica felt Nanaba tremble under her grasp did she let her go.

"When I have the baby, I expect you to be around for the first few weeks so you learn how to take care of it when Mike starts his visitations," Silica said densely as she turned back to her chore. "That's all. You can leave now."

"I really don't want to overstep any boundaries," Nanaba sounded unsure. "Are you really sure that's what you want?"

"Did I stutter?" Silica snapped, beginning to grow irritated. Nanaba flinched.

"N-no..." she said quietly.

"Then I suggest you refrain from questioning me again in the future," Silica deadpanned whilst carefully bending down to retrieve her laundry basket from the grass beneath her feet. She scowled at Nanaba as she tucked it between her hip and arm. "Now leave. I can't stand the sight of you."