Chapter 22

Noon came in what felt like a matter of minutes, and as Silica monitored her squad's progress on the horse track, she was told by one of Erwin's secretaries that Mike had arrived on base with their son, as promised the week prior to Silica's return to duty.

At the news, Silica turned back to her squad with a sharp whistle, and signaled that day's training was over. She didn't miss the relieved sighs from her subordinates, and offered Brutus a curt nod as she climbed upon Toffee's back and rode back toward the main base building.

Silica hurried up HQ's steps and straight toward Erwin's office. She opened the doors to see the man in question with Lucas in his arms, standing at the window on the furthest side of the room. He rocked him side to side as he pointed at things outside, and Silica smiled warmly as she quietly stood there watching them. Erwin talked to Lucas in a voice so soothing and quiet; a voice that sounded so foreign on his lips. It was as if Erwin had morphed into a completely different person when Lucas was in the room, and Silica couldn't be more happy to know that she had nothing to worry about when her son was in his care.

"Knock, knock," Silica said, still standing in the open doorway. Erwin turned his head upon hearing her voice, and immediately beckoned her into the office with a smile on his face. "Hope I'm not interrupting."

Erwin scoffed. "Not at all. Come in."

The pair met each other halfway, and without a word, Erwin handed off the small child to Silica. She sighed contentedly as she hugged Lucas close to her, and rubbed the baby's back as he garbled absently.

"Where's Mike?" Silica asked when she finally looked up to Erwin.

"He couldn't stay long," Erwin replied as he motioned for Silica to sit down. She complied and watched as he walked back toward his desk. "Said something about needing to catch up on reports."

"Darn," she huffed a strand of hair out of her face. "Those dreaded reports."

"Yes..." Erwin agreed absently as he rummaged through a stack of papers in his drawer. "While you're here, I have something for you."

Silica looked up just as Erwin made his way to her again, and plucked the small folded paper from his pinched fingers with a risen brow.

"A note from Levi," Erwin nodded toward it as she opened the page. "He gave it to me in passing this morning."

Silica's brow perked in curiosity whilst severing her gaze from Erwin to look at what Levi had written for her:

'We need to talk.'

"This is ominously vague." Silica spoke her thoughts aloud, still finding herself confused as she shoved the small paper into the pocket on her waist coat.

"He did not specify the details with me," Erwin said whilst sitting at his desk. He took a pencil up in his hand. "However he did say to meet him in the archive when your duties for the day were completed."

"So..." she trailed off as she adjusted Lucas in her arms to stand. "Now?"

"I would assume so." Erwin nodded curtly.

Silica sighed as she made her way toward Erwin to plant a kiss on the top of his head as he worked. He smiled.

"Then I guess duty calls," she said once he looked at her. "Will I see you tonight?"

"Of course," Erwin kissed her knuckles. "You should get going. Best to not keep him waiting."

Silica playfully rolled her eyes on her way out the door. "Yeah, yeah. I'll see you later."

She left Erwin to continue his work with a slack wave, and made her way toward the archive in which Levi would be waiting for her. She absently wondered what it was that he wanted to discuss as she patted Lucas' back, and walked into the open doorway to see the ravenette sitting at the table where she used to receive her lessons in Titan combat. The sight of the room itself made a melancholic feeling wash over her.