Chapter 20

Two hours of grueling birth came and went in a blur, and with one final push, Silica's child was finally born.

The ringing in Silica's ears was replaced by the sound of a child's wails, and she felt herself become overwhelmed by her own emotion at it's cry. Her vice grip on Erwin and Levi's hands released, and she finally fell back into the pillow that supported her back as her tense body went limp in relief.

"It's a boy!" Reos couldn't help her own excited smile as she wrapped Silica's newborn son in a towel after Mike had cut him free of his umbilical cord.

"I have a brother!" Amelia thrust her firsts in the air at the news, and hopped around in a circle as Reos rounded the bed to finally give Silica her son. "I have a brother!"

Everyone who was present to witness the birth couldn't help but laugh at Amelia's happy dance, and Silica couldn't contain her tears when she finally caught a glimpse at her child's face.

His hair was as black as her's, and his cheeks were a rosy hue that reminded her of Ama when she was a baby. He had a sour look on his face as he fussed, but he quickly calmed down when Silica held him close to her chest; where he could hear the familiar sound of her heartbeat.

"He's beautiful," Mike grinned as he leaned beside Silica with a gentle hand held around their son's head. "He's perfect."

Silica could only manage to nod quickly in agreement, and when Ama came up to Silica's right side to see her brother's face, Silica angled him in a way that provided her a better view of him.

"He looks just like you, Mama." Amelia said whilst rubbing the side of her finger against his chubby hand.

Erwin stood a little ways behind Amelia, smiling to himself as he watched Silica fawn over her baby. Levi stood to his right with his arms crossed over his chest, seeming just as relieved as the rest of them that baby boy was as healthy as they were all hoping for.

"He's going to be a strong boy." Erwin said, not breaking his gaze from the baby.

"Silica is his mother, of course he's going to be," Levi agreed and glanced up at him. "Especially if you're one of the people to raise him."

At that, Erwin returned his gaze with a questioning one of his own.

"Oh, please, don't look so confused," Levi dismissively rolled his eyes, tone hushed so only Erwin could hear. "You know as well as I do that you two are going to end up together."

"That's not for certain," Erwin said. "It's all on Silica's terms. I want what she wants."

"You two are hopeless," Levi shook his head. "It's only a matter of time, and we all know it."

Erwin frowned at Levi's back as he reentered the group, and Erwin was left to stand from the sidelines, watching as Silica and Mike looked down at their son with adorning looks in their eyes.

"Do we have a name for him?" Reos asked as she flipped through Silica's chart.

Silica and Mike exchanged glances, and with a nod from Silica, Mike faced the doctor.

"His name is Lucas."

"Zacharias?" Reos asked as she wrote his name down.

"Ackerman," Silica corrected. "He's taking my family's name."

Mike merely agreed silently, and at the lack of objection, Reos scribbled down his full name in the chart and left it to hang on the foot of Silica's bed.

"Alright," the doctor said," it's time to get this space and Mister Lucas Ackerman cleaned up. I'm gonna need everyone to clear out to give Mom and baby some alone time."