Chapter 4: Down the Path of Darkness

A/N: Woooooo boy has it been a LONG time (like how many months, almost 5?!) I apologize for such the long wait. I honestly have no good excuse for it. However, I am back with chapter 4 of A Force I Can't Run From! This one is apart of the catalyst to get the story going, so it was fun to write this! Anyways, let's get to it! 

Edit 1/09/22: Grammar edits

————————————————————————————————————————

The night was supposed to be a happy time. Under normal circumstances, it would've been the best day of Byleth's life. But one dark thought loomed over her head the whole time. The fact that Rufus wasn't present at the wedding/coronation was the first bad omen, but Byleth remembered that he wasn't at dinner the previous night as well. Certainly something had happened.

Byleth's sudden change in attitude didn't go unnoticed. Dimitri was obviously the first to take note. "Byleth, would you please tell me what's going on?" Dimitri asked. Byleth looked around to make sure no one was around. Luckily most everyone was out enjoying the reception that they wouldn't notice if the young couple snuck out for a moment.

Byleth led Dimitri out to a secluded corner of the ballroom. "I don't know if this means anything, but I didn't see your uncle at the wedding, or even last night." Byleth admitted.

Dimitri thought about it for a moment. "You're right, we'll keep an eye on things for now." He said. "Come on, we have more important things to worry about." He said as he extended a hand to his now wife and queen. Byleth hesitantly took it. It wasn't out of a lack of love, it was out of a sense of worry. Who knows what this omen could be.

The rest of the night was a blur. As everyone started to leave, Byleth used this as an opportunity to escape the chaos. It didn't take long for Dimitri to notice. Once he noted Byleth's sudden absence, he excused himself from a conversation he was having with Margrave Gautier and Sylvain.

Dimitri quickly caught up with Byleth. "Beloved, where are you going?" He asked.

Byleth sighed. "I'm just heading back to my room. I just can't shake off the bad feeling." She answered. "Go back and enjoy the festivities without me, I'll be fine." Byleth slightly smiled, though it was a sad and distant one as it soon faded away.

Dimitri sighed. "Well, I'll let you know when the festivities are over. You can come back whenever you feel like it too." Dimitri said. He kissed one of her hands and Byleth then left to head to her room. Gods she wish Sothis was still with her. Without her, Byleth was totally lost.

Byleth couldn't fall asleep. Her mind was racing. She gave up trying to sleep and instead started to read one of the books she found on the large bookshelf. It was well after midnight when she heard a knock at her door.

"Come in." She said, not even looking away from the book. The door opened slightly and Byleth glanced up a little. It was Dimitri. Byleth put her book down. Dimitri sat next to Byleth and she leaned in.

"I'm really worried, Dimitri. Something isn't right..." Byleth whispered. "First with Cornelia and now with your uncle, then there's also the war we have to fight in."

"I went looking for my uncle before I came in here and couldn't find him, something is up." Dimitri said. Byleth yawned and tried to say something but was stopped by Dimitri. "I know you want answers. I do too. But we need to get some rest. We'll figure it out in the morning." Dimitri said. Byleth hesitantly complied and curled into her bed. Dimitri kissed Byleth's forehead before lying next to her.

Dimitri was about to doze off as much as he was able to when he heard something, or rather someone. He slightly opened his eyes and saw the ghosts that have been plaguing him for years. His father Lambert was glaring at him, Felix's brother Glenn was annoyed, and his stepmother Patrica stood off to the side, yet very disappointed. Even Jeralt was present, giving him the look that father's give when someone messes with their daughter.