Chapter 3: Beloved

A/N: sorry for the delay! I've been working on my other projects and school more so I barely had time to work on this. I also had really low motivation to continue this one as well. However, I am slowly getting back into working on this and even have chapter 4 started. It depends honestly on school and my other projects for when I finish the next chapter but here we go! 

Art above by the amazing Sunfury_Phoenix  on instagram! She does amazing Dimileth comics and HIGHLY suggest checking her out! 

On with the chapter!

Edit 1/09/22: Grammar edits

———————————————————————————————————————————————

Byleth didn't know what to say. It wasn't a surprise to her that Dimitri does love her, take what happened before and during the battle for Garreg Mach and even what has occurred during her time at the castle for example. The truth was, she also had feelings for him as well. However, these feelings didn't start until the past few moons, especially after the Goddess Tower.

Dimitri put his free hand on Byleth's left hand. "I would also love nothing more than to make you my queen." He took out a small ring from his pocket. Byleth gasped. Now she was speechless. "I know it's a lot to take in and I will give you as much time as you need. If you do not wish to accept it, I will face the truth yet will still be your friend." Dimitri confessed.

Byleth slowly smiled. "I must admit this has caught me off guard." Byleth admitted. "But, I confess that I also do love you." Byleth quickly got up and walked to a dresser and opened the top drawer to retrieve a small bag. "My father said to give this ring to someone I love, just like he did to my mother." She opened the pouch and a silver ring with purple accents fell onto her palm. "And I've recently been thinking of giving this to you, though maybe after some more time has passed, but in the state of things, I guess now wouldn't be a bad time."

Dimitri smiled and pulled Byleth close. "Right, then I guess we should exchange them." He said before gingerly sliding his ring onto Byleth's finger. Byleth did the same with Dimitri. "Tomorrow we'll announce the engagement. However, like you said, with the state of things, the coronation will have to double as the wedding." Dimitri continued.

"I'm truly sorry we probably won't have a grander wedding. Unless we put off the ceremony until after the war and do the legal matters now...? However, we don't know how long the war will last. But if we can get enough forces together in time, we can potentially storm Enbarr soon and end this quick—" Dimitri prattled before being interrupted by Byleth.

"Dimitri, it will be ok. I personally never wanted a grandiose wedding if I ever got married." Byleth responded. She gave a weak reassuring smile. Dimitri sighed, nodded, and kissed Byleth on her forehead.

"Well then, get some rest since tomorrow is going to be a busy day." He said. Before they parted, Byleth hugged Dimitri briefly. When they finally let go, they said goodnight and Byleth laid down in her bed. Despite her mind going all over the place, she fell asleep within minutes.

The sunlight streaming into Byleth's room woke her up. Though she was awake, Byleth didn't want to get up. That is, until a knock at the door caught her attention. She excitedly threw her covers up from over her and ran to the door, expecting to see Dimitri. To her dismay, it was only a maid, however, once she saw her regular clothes in the maid's hands she was a little happier.

"Lady Byleth," The maid greeted. I'm never going to get used to that. Byleth thought. "Here's your clothes that we cleaned up yesterday." The maid handed Byleth her clothes and she graciously accepted them. "His Highness also wishes for your presence in the king's study as soon as you're able." The maid finished. Byleth nodded, said goodbye, and closed her door to get dressed.