Chapter 6: Escaping Fhirdiad

A/N: Hi guys! Back at it again! This chapter is a long one so get ready! Also, I apologize if the quality drops off towards the end. I got too excited in trying to finish it so I low key rushed it. Also, slight Content Warning, this chapter gets really graphic and violent. If you can't handle that stuff, I don't recommend reading the middle section of this. Also, above is Byleth's design for this AU. I drew it back when I first got the idea, so it is a little old. I do plan on redrawing it soon tho! Anyways, I took up too much time, so let's get to the chapter! 

Edit 1/09/22: grammar edits 

———————————————————————————————————————

"Well, well, well. Looks like we have a couple of rats out of their cages." Cornelia sneered.

"Says the rat herself." Dimitri growled.

"Dimitri, let's not make it worse." Byleth whispered.

"Run." Dedue said. All three of them dove in different directions. Dimitri to the left, Byleth to the right, and Dedue charged in front of Cornelia to tackle her. They landed with a thud. Dedue pinned her arms and legs onto the ground. Cornelia tried to wiggle herself free of Dedue's iron grip but he was an immovable wall.

"Guards! The felons are escaping and I'm being attacked by that Duscur rat!" Cornelia shouted. Slight ahead of Dimitri and Byleth, some guards came charging down the halls and the stairway back up to the castle. Dimitri and Byleth came to a screeching halt. Byleth instinctually unsheathed her sword. Dimitri was hesitant to fight against those who were supposed to protect him.

However, the voices were chanting that he had to kill them in the name of revenge. He didn't have a weapon, but that wouldn't stop him. Byleth charged forward and started to attack the guards, but using the flat side of her sword so she wouldn't intentionally kill them. Dimitri was fighting on pure raw strength and adrenaline alone.

"Dimitri, make sure to not kill them!" Byleth called. "They're still Kingdom Guards."

Dimitri managed to steal a lance from one of them and already was full blown fighting them as if they were enemy soldiers. "They're traitors!" Dimitri yelled. "They sided with that woman and sealed their fates!"

Byleth gracefully dove behind the guards and quickly knocked the ones Dimitri was fighting unconscious so he wouldn't kill them. Dimitri was clearly frustrated but Byleth didn't care. She grabbed Dimitri by the wrist and dragged him along. There was already blood stained on his armored hand. It was safe to assume it wasn't his since there were no visible cuts on himself or breaks in his armor. Byleth mentally sighed.

"We don't have time to fight them!" Byleth said to Dimitri sternly. Dimitri stayed silent. They were running up the spiraling stone stairs to escape the dungeon when Dimitri felt a strong, burning sensation on his back. The force was strong enough to trust him forward a little. Byleth stopped and looked behind her.

There stood Cornelia. She escaped Dedue's restraints and she used a Fire spell on Dimitri, which explained what happened a few seconds ago. "And where do you think where you're going?" She asked maliciously, as if she already knew the answer.

"Where's Dedue?!" Dimitri shouted. Byleth scanned the area behind Cornelia that she could see. There was no sign of Dedue. She already assumed the worst. While she knew through the year of teaching that Dedue had superior defenses and could withstand almost any physical attack, he had extremely low magic tolerance. Cornelia used magical attacks, and if she got a spell or two on Dedue, he could be slowed down.