Chapter 5: Her Unwanted Fate

A/N: Wow, a quick update? That's new! Instead of taking 5 months to write a new chapter it's been only less than 1 month! (≧∇≦)This one is slightly shorter than the other ones I write, but hey, a chapter is still a chapter. Anyways, let's get to it! 

Edit 1/09/22: Grammar edits

———————————————————————————————————————

What do you mean?" Dimitri asked. He knew something had to be up with her. It's obvious that she wasn't normal. Then again, he wasn't normal either.

"You might've guessed that something isn't right with me. I never really caught on until a year ago." Byleth said. "When my father was killed, I read his diary. There were secrets in there that I didn't even know. The pieces all fell together. Why I was so emotionless, why Rhea took a liking to me so much, and my role in everything that has happened over the past few moons.

"If these are our last moments, you should have a right to know. I wanted to tell you and I planned to, however, this war and now.." She struggled to find the words to use for this situation. "This... predicament..." Even she wasn't really confident with her answer. "It just got in the way of everything... and I'm sorry."

Dimitri nodded in acknowledgment, signaling her to go on. Byleth took a deep breath. "I don't even know where to start, but here goes nothing. I'm not normal. Not even one bit. I didn't even have a heartbeat."

Dimitri slightly gasped. "You're kidding..." He said.

Byleth shook her head. "I wish I was." She reached out her hand for Dimitri's. "Here, you can see for yourself." Dimitri took her hand and Byleth put it up to where her heart was. Dimitri couldn't feel anything. His eyes widened a little. Byleth could read his expression and nodded.

"I'm not even supposed to be alive. I was stillborn and if it wasn't for my mother, I wouldn't be here." Byleth continued. "My father wrote down that Lady Rhea transferred the Crest Stone of Flames to me that kept me alive, but at the cost of my mother." Tears formed in her eyes, but she kept them at bay.

"After my father found out what had happened, he used a fire to escape from the Monastery. I grew up with a semi-normal life. I was a mercenary, obviously, however, I was emotionless. It wasn't until I started having these strange dreams over and over again not long before I came to the monastery.

"Now, what I'm going to say will seem crazy. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't believe me, but" Byleth said. "The Goddess has been living in my consciousness due to the crest stone implanted in me."

Dimitri was speechless. It did give him some answers, but it also raised some more. If Byleth told him this back during their first few months at the Academy, he would've thought it was a joke, however, he knew it had to be true. Byleth had no reason to lie to him.

The event in the Sealed Forest also convinced him more. When she was trapped by the forbidden spell, she claimed that the only way she escaped the dark void was that the Goddess gifted her their power. That did explain the hair and eye color change, but there had to be something more that occurred. Despite killing Jeralt's assassin, Byleth was even more down than she was after her father's death. Did something else happen?

"I know it's a shock to all take in at once, believe me." Byleth continued. "And that's not even the full story."

"And most of this happened within the past twelve moons?" Dimitri asked.

Byleth nodded. "After the Goddess, Sothis, awakened, she was like a little voice in my head that would never shut up." She explained. She laughed a little reminiscing on the memories. "Oh boy, did I hate it at first. But, as time passed, I grew more accustomed to her voice and I considered her a friend.