Chapter 2: The Kingdom Capital

A/N: As promised, here's chapter 2! Enjoy the next chapter! 

Edit 1/09/22: grammar edits 

———————————————————————————————————————————————-

The march to Fhirdiad was long and mostly uneventful. Only the students of the Blue Lions class that originated from the kingdom headed back for the other students that transferred classes headed to their own land to prepare before officially siding with the Church/Kingdom. They left immediately and didn't set up camp until late in the night. When they set up camp, everyone with mild injuries was sent to Mercedes tent to get healed up.

Byleth has a restless night. It wasn't all due to the hard ground that she was forced to sleep on. She was still heavily startled by her near death experience. What would've happened if Dimitri wasn't there to save me? Would I be dead? Byleth shook off the bad thoughts and tried to get at least a little bit of sleep before the long march ahead of them.

Nothing really happened during their journey. There was one notable occasion about halfway through their journey where Sylvain tricked Dimitri to the nearby river to get some fish for the dinner Dedue and Ashe were preparing at the same time the girls were washing up. He felt like something was off when he approached the river. Then he looked up and instantly regretted trusting Sylvain.

The girls were bathing in the river. Once he saw this, he instantly turned around and bolted. Good thing most of the girls were underwater or facing the other direction so he both didn't see things that shouldn't have been seen and been caught. Unluckily for him, Ingrid caught a quick glimpse of the prince and growled under her breath "I'm going to give that skirt chaser a piece of my mind in tricking His Highness to do that."

"What was that Ingrid?" Annette asked. Mercedes nodded in agreement and Byleth poked her head up from underwater in curiosity.

"Oh it was nothing. I'll tell you guys when we finish up." Ingrid said as she dunked herself underwater to at least rinse her hair.

It wasn't long until the girls arrived back at camp and Ingrid filled them in on what happened. Mercedes was mortified beyond belief, Annette was confused, and Ingrid and Byleth had some scolding to do to two certain people.

When the two of them approached Sylvain, he was bursting out laughing while Dimitri was as red as a tomato, clearly embarrassed of his gullible behavior. "Sylvain, why would you trick His Highness to do such a thing?!" Ingrid scolded.

"Wait, how'd you know it was me who tricked Dimitri here?" He said in-between laughs.

Ingrid rolled her eyes. "Because His Highness would never do that on his own like that!" She continued.

Sylvain smirked. "You can't prove it was me. For all we know His Highness here could've been curious to see a certain some-" Sylvain said slyly but was cut off by Dimitri elbowing him in the stomach.

Byleth clearly wasn't impressed. "Sylvain, don't do antics like that again and Dimitri, please be careful on who you trust, especially if the information is coming from Sylvain." She commanded her former students and walked into her own tent.

Dimitri got up and followed her. He entered her tent unannounced which clearly annoyed Byleth despite them being so close. "Profes—no, Byleth, I'm sorry for what I did. I swear I didn't mean to walk in on you guys like that." Dimitri apologized.

Byleth inhaled deeply. "Look, I believe you, however, we told all of you guys that we were taking a bath in the nearby river. You should've known that too." Byleth said. Dimitri looked down shamefully.