Overwhelmed

Edward showed up to the Swan house early Monday morning to pick up Via. She stepped out of the house, blue hair curled. She wore red tights under a black plaid skirt, with a black v-neck shirt, black cardigan, and black boots. Her bag was slung lazily over her shoulder. He noticed her makeup was more subtle for the day, just eyeliner and mascara.

"You do not look dressed to walk through the woods later." Edward joked, opening the passenger side door for her. Her taller shoes got her closer to his height, he noticed. He could feel Bella's eyes on them from the window. Before he could make another sarcastic comment to his best friend, she grabbed the front of his coat and pulled him closer, pressing her lips to his for the second time that school year. He felt the same rush he had felt that first time, and found himself kissing her back.

She was the one to break the kiss, but hugged him before getting into his car.

"What was that about?" He asked as he started the car after getting in. He drove off as her memories replayed for him to see.

Via walked into Bella's room as the girl was brushing her hair.

"Okay. One last thing. I would really appreciate it if you stopped obsessing over my boyfriend." Via stated after a deep breath.

"Boyfriend?" Bella responded, eyebrows knitting together in surprise.

"Yes. He didn't want me saying anything since all the girls at school are obsessed with him, but Edward and I have been dating for six months. He just gets worried that the girls in school will bully me worse than they already do, which is why he doesn't want to say anything."

"You could have told me, Via." Bella stated sincerely.

"I didn't know if I could. You seemed so persistent on knowing his secret. Just please keep everything on the down low."

"I won't say a thing about anything." Bella promised her sister. Via smiled and walked out of the room.

"So... we're dating now?" Edward asked as they pulled up to the school parking lot.

"It was my last resort. I'm sorry, Ed." Via sighed. He reached over and took one of her hands.

"Olivia Swan, would you do me the honor of being my fake girlfriend?" Edward asked, a cheesy grin on his face. Via rolled her eyes at him.

"Oh you sap. I'd be your real girlfriend if you asked." Via got out of the car quickly after he let go of her hand, not wanting to hear him chastise her about vampire and "human" relationships. Before he could talk to her about it, she rushed over to Rosalie.

"Mom!" She squealed, drawing more attention to them.

"Via, we've talked about this!" Rosalie sighed. Via giggled softly, falling into step with the blonde.

"Why does Edward look like a kicked puppy?" Emmett asked the two.

"I told Bella he was my boyfriend so she would leave him alone, kissed him again, and then told him I would be his real girlfriend if he asked. Then I rushed out of the car." Via explained.

"V... he's practically in love with you." Rosalie told her in a hushed tone.

"No he's not." Via argued back, shaking her head.

"You'll see." Rose responded.

Classes seemed to drag on. Via would let her mind wander to Edward on occassion, but for the most part she tried to remain unfazed by what Rosalie had told her. In math class, she still sat by Edward. She resumed her daily task of poking him with a pen.

"Are you okay?" He asked her when they were walking to lunch.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why?"

"You're quieter than usual." He responded, once again going with her through the lunch line. This time, Via only picked an apple.

"You need to eat more." He told her. She shook her head.

"I'm just... on edge. Something doesn't feel right." Via explained. "Like something bad is going to happen."

"You've had that feeling a lot recently." Edward commented as they approached his siblings' lunch table.

Instead of her usual talkative self, Via found herself spacing out heavily and staring out the window. Rosalie had tried to get her attention, but her mind was elsewhere. As soon as the air started to feel thicker, Via was out of her seat and walking quickly out the door.

She found herself sitting on the ground in the parking lot, leaning against Edward's car. When she was away from everyone, the feeling went away and she could breathe.

"Via?"

She looked up to see Jasper standing in front of her. He crouched down so he was closer to her level.

"Your emotions started bouncing all over the place, as if you had more than just yours suddenly. I explained it to Edward, but decided I would be the best to come talk to you." Jasper explained. "He gave me his car keys if you want to get out of here. We can just tell Charlie you had a mental breakdown so we took you to Esme."

"Thank you. I can't go back there." Via agreed, slowly standing up. The two got in Edward's car, and Via soon learned Jasper was a more careful driver than Alice. She chalked it up to that being Edward's car, or he didn't want to risk her life.

Jasper drove around town, attempting to help Via calm down.

"Do you think you could be an empath?" He asked her suddenly, breaking the comfortable silence.

"I don't know. I've never felt other people's emotions before, only when they're going to die." Via shrugged.

"So, you could just have been overwhelmed, and you didn't know how to cope with it so several emotions hit at once." Jasper stated, more so than asked.

"Probably. I haven't been to see Sammy and the boys in forever. I miss them."

Jasper could empathize. He may not have liked the wolves, but they were her friends.

"You should see them this weekend." Jasper told her.

"What about your guys' baseball game Alice told me about?"

"You can come watch us play on Friday, and then go see the wolves on Saturday." Jasper made sure to use the term "wolves" instead of "mutts".

"...Thank you, Jaz. I'll text Sammy to ask." Via smiled gratefully at him before sending a text to her group chat with Sam, Jared, and Emily. Sam and Emily agreed right away. Jared was giving her shit for not coming to see them sooner.

"Sometimes, you just need a mental health day, Via. That is perfectly fine." Jasper told her sincerely. "One of us would gladly ditch with you to spend time with you if you wanted."

"Can we go to the diner...? I'm starving." Via asked quietly. Jasper nodded and did a quick U-turn, heading in the direction of the diner.