Prey

Half of the Cullens had gone hunting, and the other half were furiously hunting Victoria with some of the wolves. Via, however, was hiking to get her mind off everything. She wore denim shorts and a long sleeved cropped shirt, as the hike wasn't long. She just wanted to lay in the flower fields for a bit and watch the clouds.

Despite Edward's protectiveness, he agreed he could not control the small but feisty banshee. He wouldn't even dream of it. So, when Alice got a vision of Via hiking, climbing trees, and napping in a flower field, he didn't feel a need to call her and reprimand her for being out alone despite Victoria's looming presence. Victoria had not made any decisions to go after his love, and the Cullens were hunting close enough-

Via picked up a stick as she hiked, thinking it looked quite interesting. She would have to throw it at Jacob and see if he ran after it. She grinned mischievously at the thought.

Upon finding the flower field, she let out an excited squeal. This was the most alive she had felt in months. She laid amongst the flowers, reveling in the small amounts of sunlight that warmed her skin, as well as the delicate flowers surrounding her. This felt peaceful, like home.

The sound of footsteps in the otherwise quiet field made the girl sit up quickly, looking all around her. As her eyes fell on a familiar dark skinned vampire, she stood, staring him down the entire time.

"Olivia Swan?" He questioned as he drew closer. "The banshee?"

"Laurent, was it?" She responded coolly, trying to keep her breathing even despite the anxiety she felt seeing the red eyed vampire.

"You are correct. I came to visit the Cullens, but it seems they are all out?" He continued his questioning as he attempted to move closer.

"Close enough." She stated in an authoritative tone. "They're out hunting. You clearly didn't look hard enough."

"Your words are quite cruel, Olivia, after how much I have helped you." Laurent tssked after speaking. This only made the dark haired girl more wary.

"You'll have to pardon me, I've had quite the rough year with red eyed vampires." She snarked, arms folding across her chest.

"You have the demeanor of a predator." Laurent was right in front of her in a matter of seconds, hand brushing her cheek. She recoiled at the touch. "Too bad you're only prey."

"Don't fucking touch me." She snapped, reacting before thinking as she gripped his icy wrist, as if it would do anything.

"Victoria will be so angry at me for killing you... however, opportunities to end a banshee do not come often." He shook her off as if her death grip were nothing. She stumbled back a bit, but managed to keep her balance. All too soon, a hand closed around her throat, cutting off her air supply.

"Via?!" She heard shouting. Rosalie's voice.

As the banshee locked eyes with the red eyed vampire, something shifted in her. She felt... cold....

Blue eyes glossed over and slowly deepened to an inky black, as if food coloring had been dropped into water and taken over.

A pained scream tore from the vampire's throat as he released her. The banshee just stared as he slowly began to disintegrate before her eyes.

"How's that for prey?" She muttered with raised eyebrows.

"Via!" Rose's voice sounded far away as the banshee's vision began to swarm. Then she was falling as the world began to spin and turn black.

-

Via woke up in her own room, Edward laying next to her. She groaned as she shifted closer to him. He welcomed this, wrapping his arms around her as she buried her face in his chest.

"What happened?" She questioned. He rubbed her back soothingly.

"Laurent found you in the forest. Rosalie was the closest, but you managed to disintegrate him before she got to you. She caught you just in time." He explained.

Via looked up at him in shock, eyes wide. "I... what?"

"It's a power that a banshee has the possibility of developing to protect themselves." Edward continued explaining. "Yours seems to be tied to your emotions."

She snuggled closer to him, not wanting to think about the supernatural world or powers anymore. Her head hurt and she felt exhausted.

"Get some sleep, love. I'll be here when you wake up." He reassured her.

-

Via stayed close to Charlie the following days. He went to work, she went to work. He went to the diner, she went to the diner. Luckily, he didn't question the light bruising around her neck. Then again, she would probably be able to come up with an obscene lie, and he knew her too well and didn't want the mental image.

The two sat in the cruiser, having gotten burgers to go on his lunch break.

"How long are you going to follow me around, kiddo?" He questioned, breaking the silence. Via simply shrugged.

"I dunno. Until you force me to stop, I suppose." She answered before taking another bite of her burger. "I thought you wanted to spend more time with me."

"I know, but you have a boyfriend and friends. You don't see them anymore." He replied, a look of worry crossing his face.

"They're all busy working lately." That was half true. They were all working on a solution to the Victoria problem. "I'm waiting on college acceptance letters."

"Where are you hoping to go?"

"Portland State University is my first choice. I'd like to stay close, and that's where Rose wants to go after her gap year. It would be nice." She stated, smiling brightly. "The Northern campus for Montana State University is also a choice."

"You're not revolving your college choice around your boyfriend?" Charlie asked, confusion clear on his face. Via giggled and shook her head.

"He wants me to be happy." She stated. "He doesn't mind applying to either of those, or doing long distance."

"That's very thoughtful of him." Charlie said sincerely before returning to his food. Via did the same, casting her eyes out the window of the cruiser.

A/N; so we actually almost done with this book :D Sorry for taking so long to update lol. What kind of fanfics do y'all want to see me try to write? The temptation I have to delete everything off my account besides this one and a couple others and start over is very very high~

I kinda wanna write another Edward fic. I'm a simp for that man.

I also have several Draco Malfoy fics in the drafts~