5. try me

joy's pov:
although i had no mirror, i knew my cheeks turned a pinkish shade as i turned back and exited the bookshop hurriedly. that. now, that- was embarrassing. i was hoping he didn't see me stare as i walked in just a mere few minutes ago, but the idea of him noticing made my heart do a little flip,,, wait what? no, no that can't be true.

i tried my best to brush it off all while searching the street for a cab which, to my luck, was easier than i thought. my mind was a bit too all over the place ever since i let it wander off int different directions, exploring feelings i never knew i had. i just couldn't get it out of my head.

i arrived home in no time, excited to finish the last book of shadowhunters. dear lord was this going to be sad. i got dressed back into my pjs and sat down on the bed, prepared to get carried away. just as i thought that- i started reading and the world of shadows, angels and demons started filling my head. except, there was one thing in my so called vision that caught my eye- the fact that i couldn't picture the main character as anyone but me, all meanwhile the main characters love interest was that boy from the book store. that guy from the coffee shop.

i guess i'll just have to accept the idea that i can't think of it differently now. i don't want to either.

———————

i shut the book as i read the last few words on the page. "unbe fucking lievable" i muttered to myself. hail and farewell, i guess. i'll miss this book. i'd really do anything to relive reading this for the first time again, let alone have that happen to me. just as i thought that, the doorbell rang, snapping me back to earth in no time. talk about perfect timing.

i rushed down to open the door and without even bothering to look at who it is, i knew it was her. "dear lord what do you want now? i told you i'd be reading. a call would be great before you come kicking my door down, you know ashley" i scowled at the woman storming into my house.

"forget that fucking book, what i'm about to tell you is better than all of that combined." she plopped onto the couch with a bang so loud i thought she broke it.

"first off, slow the f down and don't break my couch please. second, i'm intrigued. nothing could be better than the mortal instruments, but try me i guess."

"that man we saw. that pretty boy from the day i took you to your fathers," she stared me dead in the eyes while pausing, waiting for my reaction. i nodded, signaling her to continue. "he killed someone." oh shit.

"well that's a great imagination you have there. cool attempt to make it more interesting than tmi." i say, getting back up from the couch. i feel a grip on my wrist pulling me back down.

"no dude you don't fucking get it. he, h-he killed. he killed someone. a living person dude." her tone was so worried and her face made it even more believable, which scared me almost to death. she's never this worried. "if you're pulling a prank i will never forgive you for this one a. i swear don't even joke about this-"

"but i'm NOT JOKING." she almost screamed. my face turned red and my palms got sweaty before i could even realize.

"listen, this is impossible, but i think i know what we can do to check that." i stood up grabbing my keys and heading to the door as i heard a little shout from the living room- "you're still in your pjs joce"
"don't care. let's go." i opened the door and threw on my black jean jacket with the drawing of a dragon on its back. i hurried out the door and she followed not too longer after me, unlocking the car with her keys.

"j, you know what that might mean?" she turned her head to me as soon as we got into her car, a worried expression on her face. "that might mean they're back jocelyn."

"they can't be, simply because nobody who knows is alive anymore." i said with a stern face, watching ashley tilt her head up, as if recalling what had happened, and nod a few times before driving off.