3. enjoy hell

jocelyns pov:

"dad, i told you, you don't have to pay me for this!! i'd gladly help you anytime." i repeat for what seems to be 100th time today.

"but i want to, love! you're wasting your time with me while you could be focusing on your own work" he looks at me apologetically, and i just laugh.

"this-" i draw a circle with my finger to show my surroundings, "this isn't wasting time. this is all for a good cause and plus, i love you! i can't just say no and let you do everything on your own, dad, this is important stuff." i state as i turn around and head for the door.

"besides, you're not taking up much of my time, unlike what mikey used to. but," i stop to hesitate for a second, but then continue confidently, "he doesn't anymore. that is, for the better, of course. i have to go, i'll see you later." i receive a wave in return with a faint, weak smile that is barely visible and i rush through the hallway back into ashley's car.

"hi ash, can you take me to the office? i'll get a cab back to my place so you don't have to worr-"i started taking but was interrupted by ashley, holding up a finger to my face while simultaneously trying to stuff a burger into her mouth.

"no you won't." she took a moment to finish chewing, while leaving me in confusion. "i... i won't?" i repeat her words back to her while she struggles to swallow the big chunk of burger she stuffed into her mouth just a moment ago.

"y-yep you wounmt. yuor goim nto go wiv me" she sounded like a child until she finally had a free mouth and was ready to talk, "we're going somewhere after this and i think you're really going to like it!" she said, a bit more excited that she was previously.

"alright, but do i need to go home to change for that?" i look at her, a bit too tired to actually argue with the going out bit.

"oh, absolutely. wear something niceeee." she dragged out the last word, leaving a wink that caused me to roll my eyes so hard i thought they'd fall back into my head.

—*—

a few hours later, i was still in the office. my head filled with tasks and things to remember and hands full of papers. i plop them onto my assistants desk and greet her with a warm smile.

"hi mia, i'm back! i got all the files from the meeting and i'm definitely ready to leave, so if you want to leave as well and finish off with the papers tomorrow that's perfectly fine by me. thank you for all your help, i'll see you later." i take my bag and lock my office, heading towards the elevator.

"thank you miss perez! have a nice weekend." mia says and i freeze for a second. friday? how is it already friday?

i get down to the first floor to be greeted by ashley in the car screaming at me to jump in faster as we have "not that much time"

not that much time? for what? i think to myself while i get into ashley's car.

she drove me back home and i pulled on a white, tight and long dress with an open back, and white heels, along with a black clutch. all while ash was hurrying me from downstairs.

where on earth was she even taking me? it's as if there's nothing else i'd rather be doing on a friday night than trying to follow along with ash and her stupid, spontaneous adventures.

actually, i don't. but nevertheless, i'm afraid ash will either get us arrested or embarrassed in front of an unimaginable amount of people. which, judging by the road, would be likely. we're going to the city.

as we pull into the parking lot of a restaurant my heart sinks. this can't be it. in fact, it can, and sadly it is. the place where michael and i first met. which also, just so happens to be one of his favorite places and the place he's going to this evening to celebrate his best friends birthday. fantabulous.