Chapter 12

On their way back, Keiji was surprisingly quiet and Koutarou noticed that he looked really tired.

"Should I carry you again?"

The other one only shook his head faintly.

"I'm fine."

Koutarou watched him with a doubtful look on his face but didn't say another word.

When they finally arrived at their ward Koutarou could already make out Keiji's mother from far away. She looked worried and the silver haired teen felt guilt building up. When the woman spotted them, she rushed over in an instant.

Before Koutarou could even open his mouth to apologize for them being late, she had already raised her hand and a stinging pain formed on his cheek.

"This boy is sick to death and you think it's a good idea to take him on one of your silly adventures? Didn't your parents teach you to think?!"
Koutarou looked up to her with terrified eyes, but the woman only turned away to her son who was leaning against her side weakly.

"It's okay, darling" she said in a calm voice and stroked a few strands of messy hair out of his face. "Let's get you to bed, okay?"

Koutarou watched as Keiji nodded and together with a nurse, both of them disappeared into Keiji's room at the end of the hallway.

When they were gone, the silver hair boy lifted his hand and placed it onto his stinging cheek. Tears were piling up in his eyes. He walked back to his own room then, crawled under his blanket and didn't move until it was time to go to sleep.