Chapter 15

Since it was only a minor operation, Koutarou was to be dismissed from the hospital in only a few days. Saying goodbye to Keiji was hard, especially since the silver haired teen was still expected to stay put in bed the following weeks. Making it impossible for him to visit Keiji.

"Promise to text me everyday" he demanded as Keiji handled him his phone back, after saving his phone number into it.

"I will" he promised with a small smile and took his own phone back.

The silver haired teen hesitated then, staring at his blanket for a moment while looking for the right words to say. "I... I'm gonna miss you, Akaashi."

Keiji sighed and lowered his gaze, brushing a flick of dark behind his ear while doing so. "Don't say such embarrassing things, Bokuto-san..."

"But it's the truth!" he called out straight off.

The hug that was followed took him in surprise. It was soft and warm and brought a nice smell with it.

Koutarou liked it and gladly hugged the other boy back.

The following two weeks were agonizing.

First of all, Koutarou was dying of boredom. He was locked up in his room, extremely pampered by his overprotective mother. The only one visiting him was his best friend, who kept talking about how much fun Volleyball was at the moment and how great their team was doing despite him not being there. It wasn't really lifting his mood at all.

Secondly, he missed Keiji more than the liked to admit.

They messaged each other every day just as they promised, but it wasn't the same.

He wanted him to be here, to be next to him. Wanted to see his smile and hold his hand and just keep him close.

It was frustrating.

The day Koutarou was finally allowed to leave his bed was a long awaited one.

He got up early to help his mom preparing a small bento with Keiji's favorite food. He knew the other boy had grown tired of the hospital food a long time ago already. Something self-made might cheer him up a bit, since Koutarou couldn't help but notice his messages sounded a bit gloomy the past days.

He even considered getting flowers, but then remembered the other one didn't like those. He hated watching them wither or something, if Koutarou remembered his words correctly.

His parents accompanied him to the hospital since he also had an appointment to finally get the plaster on his arm removed. When it was done, Koutarou didn't waste another second to say them goodbye and climb the stairs to the 5th floor. He stormed down the hall Keiji's room, swinging the door open wide with a bright smile and holding up the self-made bento in front of him proudly.

"Akaashiii, look what I-"