Chapter 26

It was the same position Koutarou sat into one week later, only this time his gaze was focused on the gravestone in front of him.
There were footsteps approaching him and a moment later, he could feel a hand gripping on his shoulder. Then, someone crouched down next to him.

"What's this?" Tetsurou asked and pointed at the book in Koutarou's hands.

"The Book Thief" he answered and stroked the worn out cover gently with his fingers.

"I didn't know you were into books."

"It was Keiji's favorite" he told him, still not tearing his gaze away from the epigraph on the marble in front of him.

"I've finished reading it yesterday."

For the third time he wanted to add, but didn't.

"I see."

It was silent for a moment, before his best friend continued.

"Have you cried already?"

Koutarou placed the book on the heap of soil in front of him and finally got up, Tetsurou following his matter.

The hand on his shoulder appeared again and this time squeezed it tightly in a supportive way.

He turned to his best friend and smiled sadly."I don't think he would've wanted me to."

At this, Tetsurou pulled him into a hug and Koutarou hesitated for a moment before hugging him back tightly.

"He would've wanted me to continue on, Tetsu..."

"I know" the other whispered before slowly pulling away, a faint smile gracing his lips.

"Hey, are you ready for your first day back in practice?"

Koutarou rubbed the corner of his eyes with his sleeve and finally put on his infamous bright smile.

"You can bet."

"Let's go, then."

Tetsurou squeezed his shoulder one last time before letting go and going ahead across the graveyard.

Koutarou didn't turn back when he finally followed him.

He didn't know what his future would bring.

But he knew he would never forget the boy with a heart made of glass that was called Akaashi Keiji.