Chapter 21

The next morning, they were woken up by a doctor storming into the room.

Koutarou jerked up from the embrace they've been sleeping in and sat up quickly while rubbing his sleepy eyes.

He looked at the doctor and then at Keiji's mother, who was sitting in a chair in the corner of the room. Had she been there all the time? He hadn't heard her coming in at all last night.

"... what I'm trying to say is, we've found a heart for your son."

He could hear Keiji's mother gasping and Koutarou quickly turned around to stare at the doctor wide eyed, trying to process what he just said.

"Keiji, did you hear that??" he called out, looking down at the boy still lying beside him.

His own heart started beating madly in his chest. This had to be a dream...

"Yeah..." the dark haired boy breathed out softly with his eyes still closed and the corners of his lips tugging upwards a bit. "I've heard it..."

Koutarou wanted to hug him, but his mother was already by his side to tug Keiji into her arms tightly and he let her. Tears of joy were tickling down her face and Koutarou watched them with a smile, before finally climbing out of bed as a few nurses started to gather around them.

"There's no time to lose. We're starting with the preparations immediately since the organ is already on its way" the doctor explained and Keiji's mother finally let go of her son.

Koutarou moved back to the wall and watched as the nurses and doctors prepared Keiji for the surgery and lifted him to another bed.

Now that he had a closer look on him, the silver haired teen noticed how pale and heavily breathing he was, barely responding to his surroundings. A lump formed in his throat at the thought of how cold he had felt into his arms last night. It only took him another second to realize how barely Keiji had probably escaped death.

Although it wasn't over yet.