Chapter 1

Marcus wiped his brow and looked up at the hot sun. It was high in the sky, the heat seemed to surround him like an itchy wool blanket, prickling at his skin. He took a swig of water and set down his tools. Time for lunch. Marcus checked with his boss first before he heading home. Fortunately home wasn't a long trek away. He paused at the bottom of the hill that led to the house. He sighed, taking a moment to look at the humble home in desperate need of repairs.

He found his mother in the kitchen peeling potatoes.

"Oh hi Marcus, how's your day going?" she asked pleasantly.

"Great! Jarod said I'm showing some good promise. He said if I keep it up I can be promoted to a supervisor position in the future." Marcus beamed proudly.

"Oh, that's nice dear." His mother offered a sweet smile before returning to her potatoes. Marcus clenched his jaw and swallowed back his hurt. He knew she was trying her best. He just wasn't the golden child.

He busied himself among their meager supplies and picked out some rotting fruit and some of the freshly cooked potatoes. He sat at the table and enjoyed his bland meal. As he was eating, the door busted open, startling him.

"Mother! Guess what!" His older brother Gordon came in full of excitement.

Their mother put down the potato and jumped up from her seat. "Is that it?" she asked, referring to the letter in his hand.

"I got in! I've been accepted for advanced training in the city!"

"Oh Gordon, I knew you could do it!" she beamed and hugged her son tightly.

"And once I start my training I can start sending you some money," Gordon said proudly.

"Hey Gordon, that's great!" Marcus chimed in. Gordon turned to him surprised, he must not have noticed his younger brother sitting at the table.

"Thanks." He blushed.

Marcus held no ill will towards his brother, but it was difficult to not let jealousy take a hold of him. Every city and village held general testing for children at certain stages in their development. These were days where knowledge was power, people were interested in learning and using that knowledge to better society and improve their rudimentary technology. The general tests focused on the basics, reading, writing, math and science. Gordon did amazing in all of it, unfortunately for Marcus, he didn't do well in any of it. He showed an aptitude for some of the trades, but he couldn't even read properly.

His mother must've figured there was no use in pushing Marcus, so she focused on encouraging Gordon as best she could. He was the hope of their family.

"Oh hey, your specialized tests are coming up soon, right? The trials?" Gordon asked Marcus. "Are you going to go?"

Marcus chuckled, knowing he meant there wasn't much point. The specialized tests were held in the city, they tested fighting skills, more advanced intellectual skills, and of course magic. Marcus didn't know why they tested for magic, it was a rare skill these days.

"Yeah, I mean I've never been to the city before, I wouldn't mind at least checking it out."

"Of course you'll come back right after you have your little trip." His mother gave him a stern look. His skills weren't much, but if he could at least become a supervisor at the farm, it would be something.

"Of course," Marcus said, looking down at his apple core sadly.

The days passed quickly and the time came for the boys to travel to the city. Their mother gave them both a hug and spoke with them. When she approached Marcus, he braced himself for the comment about coming back when he couldn't find himself a job or training.

She looked sad. "You know, you were our miracle child. A long time ago your father had an accident at work and we thought we couldn't have more children." She plucked at some lint on his shirt, preening him as she spoke. Her words surprised him.

"I remember as he held you and looked at me with so much pride in his eyes. He said you would go on to achieve great things."

Marcus's eyes welled up, she didn't talk about their father much.

"I know I haven't been very encouraging. I'm afraid I may have failed at properly mothering you. But in truth," she paused, looking up at him with fire in her eyes. "I've never doubted that you will become someone great. You have a fire and a passion in you that I've only ever seen in one person before. Your father."

A few tears escaped. "You really think so?" he asked hopefully.

She hugged him tightly and whispered in his ear. "Go be great. I won't contain your power anymore." He frowned as she let go. What an ominous thing to say.

With that, they said their goodbyes and the brothers were on their way.

***

The two walked in silence for a while. Marcus didn't mind. He was enjoying the scenery around him and the chance to stretch his legs.

"So which tests are you going to go for?" Gordon asked suddenly.

"I was thinking fighting, magic and maybe some of the easier trades tests. I mean they only test for aptitude right?"

Gordon nodded. "Yeah but I mean, do you think you have a chance? And why bother with the magic test? Mages are only like one percent of the population."

Marcus shrugged. "I want to do it."

The two continued on in silence. They were close when they were younger, but when Gordon started excelling at everything he did, a rift opened between them. Marcus always tried to be supportive of his brother, but he often got the feeling that Gordon looked down on him.

It would take them about a week to reach the city. They didn't talk much during the first couple of days. Instead, they focused their energy on walking, eating, sleeping and tending to their sore feet.

Even after a couple of days, Marcus continued to think of what his mother said. I won't contain your power anymore. What the hell did that mean? And what was all that business about him going on to achieve great things? She had never indicated she expected anything from him other than supplying food from the farm.

Lost in his thoughts, he almost didn't notice the two men hiding on either side of the path, ready to pounce. He stopped, suddenly alert. He stopped his brother with his arm, catching his attention. Gordon looked at him, annoyed at first until he saw the look on his younger brother's face.

"Marcus?"

Damn fool. Marcus thought to himself. Why hadn't he thought to bring something to protect them with? He stood widely, bracing himself for whatever might come next. "We know you're there. Come out." His voice shook as he spoke.

One of the men started chuckling. The two of them came out from their hiding spots, the tall one had bright red scars where his eye was missing, and the other was wide and very muscular, both brandished their weapons. "What do we have here? A couple of kids from the sticks eh."

The other man spoke up, "Going to the city likely. Means you have some money with you."

"I'll make it easy for you kid," The one-eyed man towered menacingly over Marcus. "Just give us your money, and we'll let you be on your way."

Marcus clenched his fists in anger. That money was from their mother's savings. She had been putting it away for a whole year so they could have a comfortable trip to the city.

He gulped, fear and adrenaline shook through his body. "No." he said.

"Oh? No, you say?" the leader of the two looked at the other, with a big smile on his face.

"Looks like we got a feisty one here boss." The bigger one sneered.

"Marcus." Gordon hissed. "Let's just give it to them so we can go." Marcus could see the fear in his brother's eyes. Marcus considered Gordon for a moment. He was their mother's pride and joy and would go on to be one of the greatest intellectuals of their time. That means it was Marcus's job to protect him.

He turned back to the two men, standing taller. This time when he spoke, his voice was loud and clear. "You heard me. I said no."