Chapter 11

After they filled Marcus in, they went outside to begin his training. "You understand what you're getting yourself into associating with us, right boy?" Jerimiah asked.

Marcus hesitated before answering. "Well, I've never had much against the king before, but from what you've told me, it looks like I don't have much choice in the matter. I'm also not really a fan of oppression." He added.

Jerimiah chuckled. "Good." He suddenly raised his arms in an upward motion. What appeared to b a shield rose up around them. "Do not be alarmed. This is a cloak. This way, a casual passerby will not know we are here."

Marcus paused a moment, amazed at this man's abilities.

"Now, magic. You've used it by accident, yes? You know what it feels like?" he asked Marcus.

"It feels almost like I have lightning in my blood." He remembered his last fight during the combat exam. "I used it once, but I think I've felt it coursing through me during a fight."

Jerimiah nodded, expecting this. "Okay, think back to the time you used it and to that feeling."

Marcus nodded.

"When you have a good memory of it, try to remember where in your body that feeling started."

Marcus looked at his fingers, then at his chest. He pointed at his chest, determining that's where the feeling originated.

"Excellent. Now focus inward. Find that feeling again; seek it out. This part is usually the most difficult for most people, but it's there."

Marcus closed his eyes and focused. He tried to drown out any noises or distracting thoughts and focused on the memory of the magic.

There! He found it in almost an instant; his face lit up.

Jerimiah looked surprised. "You got it?"

Marcus nodded, eyes still closed as he focused on the electrifying feeling inside him. Jerimiah shrugged. "Now hold onto that feeling, and try to draw it out through the rest of your body, to your fingertips. But be careful."

Marcus closed his eyes again. The feeling inside his chest felt like it was being held back by a thin barrier, like it was vying to get out. Screaming to be set free. This task took Marcus a little longer. He probed at the feeling, looking for a weak spot in the barrier. After what felt like a long time, he felt the barrier release. The magic flowed through him like a broken dam.

Marcus screamed.

Bastian and Jerimiah rushed to him, looking at him with concern. Once again, Marcus felt the world fade to nothingness.

***

Marcus woke up thirsty, and sore all over. As if he had spent a whole day and night working in the fields back home. He looked up to see Bastian and Jerimiah muttering in hushed tones. Marcus was lying on a cot next to the kitchen table. He closed his eyes again and tried to listen.

"Most people only scratch the surface of their magic. It looks as if he unleashed his entire reserve at once." Jerimiah said quietly.

"How often does that happen?" Bastian asked, worried.

Marcus could hear a worrying tone when Jerimiah spoke, "Never."

"That is concerning indeed," Bastian said. "Do you think he's one of you?" he asked.

"Yes. I've never heard of a mortal having an ability like this. Plus, the first time I ran into him, I had a feeling. We have an affinity for recognizing other immortals." Jerimiah explained.

Marcus's eyes sprang open. He stared at the ceiling in shock, unable to move. Immortal? Impossible! He closed his eyes again when he felt the two men turn to look at him and slowed his breathing.

There was silence, then "Marcus, get up, time to go back to your dorms." Bastian ordered.

Marcus was unsure if they knew he was awake. He pretended to wake up anyways, stretching out and looking confused. "What happened?" he asked blearily.

"You completed your training for the day. Come back here tomorrow at dawn." Jerimiah said.

Marcus nodded and followed Bastian out.

As they made the long trek back to the city, Marcus pondered everything that happened. All this talk about him being able to do things that Jerimiah had never seen and him being immortal? It made no sense!

Bastian chuckled. "You're going to hurt yourself if you think too hard." He looked at Marcus meaningfully. "How much did you hear?"

Marcus blushed at the fact he'd been caught eavesdropping. "Enough." He stated.

"I wouldn't worry about this too much, Marcus. It doesn't change much more in your life at the moment."

"But, the king kills and tortures people just to find immortals, right?" Marcus stopped, looking up at Bastian scared, "What would he do if he found there was an actual...immortal training to be in his ranks?" he said the word as it left an unpleasant taste in his mouth.

"Listen, we're getting close to the city. There are ears everywhere. For now, focus on making friends, and relax tonight. You need your strength for tomorrow. We can talk more when we resume your training."

Marcus reluctantly agreed, and the two continued in silence. Little passed between them when they entered the city, and Marcus headed straight back to his dorm. The room was empty when he got there. He realized everyone must be at the dining hall.

He grumpily made his way to the dining hall, grabbed what food was left, and sat with his friends without a word. Keith looked at Ava, Ava shrugged. He'd been acting weird, but then again, they didn't know much about him anyway.

Marcus spent the rest of the night in relative silence as he pondered what appeared to be his destiny.

The next morning, he tried to be more friendly with Keith and Ava during breakfast. Marcus and Keith's other roommates hadn't talked with them much and had barely been in the dorms themselves. Marcus was glad, he didn't feel like putting on airs with new people.

He met Bastian outside the shop again, and they set off to Jerimiah's cabin. This time, Bastian left shortly after dropping Marcus off, muttering something about minding the bookshop and keeping up appearances.

Marcus felt nervous standing in front of this man by himself. A man who was apparently an immortal. He had an uncomfortable feeling about his 'millennium' comment; the literal meaning of his words bothered him.

"You have questions," Jerimiah stated, obviously.

Marcus nodded.

"We don't have time for questions. First, we train." He said abruptly. "I haven't needed to instruct anyone to do this, but look inward again for that magic feeling. This time don't let all of it out, try to let it trickle through your body."

Marcus got to work on training his magic. He let out the full blast of magic a couple more times before he figured out how to tame its reaction. A few hours later, he was able to hold a steady flow of magic through his body, small sparks erupting from his fingertips.

Jerimiah smiled when he finally managed it. "Amazing." He said quietly.

"How long does this usually take?" Marcus asked.

"For most people, learning how to draw out their magic intentionally, let alone break through the barrier, usually takes years," Jerimiah said, pulling out his pipe. He turned around and walked to the cabin. Marcus took this to mean he should follow.

Years? Marcus frowned as he followed. What the hell is wrong with me?