Chapter 4

The man walked briskly, trying to avoid the hoards of people milling about. It was an objectively beautiful day out, but he didn't have time to hang around. He needed to get some supplies from the city and had some important business to take care of.

There was an assortment of dancers clogging up the square. He wondered about them briefly as he walked, and considered the changes in society that he had witnessed overtime. Things were certainly changing. It was curious, but also nice to see the people learning more about themselves and their existence. Intelligence was good, it could help them develop the medicine they needed, transportation, technologies and other exciting advancements. However, he also knew that new advances in technology would mean developing more advanced weaponry. Advance too quickly and they could end up wiping themselves out. He's seen it before.

His musing distracted him from what was right in front of him, and he accidentally bumped into a young boy.

"Hey watch it!" the other boy with him said, obviously protective of the younger one.

He paused, remembering human manners, "I apologize." He said.

"No it's fine, it's my fault-" The boy said as he brushed himself off.

The words didn't register in the man's head. Something was off about this boy. He looked at him, trying to figure out what it was that was bothering him.

A sudden realization shook him, and he let out a small gasp, "Do you know what you are?" he asked the boy before thinking.

He registered that the boy looked confused, but he had no time to think about that. He turned around and continued walking, this new information about the boy bothering him greatly.