Chapter 10

Marcus tried to open his eyes. They were crusty and stuck together. He was aware he was in a moderately comfortable bed, more comfortable than the ground he'd been sleeping on. He peeled his eyes open and pushed himself to a sitting position. He groaned at the sudden sharp pain he felt in his abdomen.

"Ow." His head was pounding, and he felt a little like he had fallen off a cliff. He looked around him; the pristine white walls and tables with various herbs and medical equipment told him he was in the infirmary.

"Oh, you're up!" A nurse said as she entered the room. She rushed to his side to check on his vitals before heading out to alert the physician. A few minutes later, Ava and Keith came in, with their group's proctor and that man, Sloan in tow.

"Oh, Marcus!" Ava had tears in her eyes. "We thought you were a goner!"

Even Keith seemed relieved to see him awake, "Glad you're up man." He blushed a little.

"Geez, that bad, huh?" Marcus winced as he tried to stand up.

"Whoa, now." Sloan went to stop him. "You need to rest up. We need you to recover quickly."

Marcus gave him a look. "Why? I failed the test, didn't I? I didn't finish."

Sloan chuckled. "No one said you have to finish the entire thing to pass, or that getting injured was an immediate fail."

Marcus thought about this for a minute. "Okay, so what is it you want me for then?"

"To get started on your training of course," Sloan said.

"Training?"

"To become a knight. You start your intermediate-level training in two weeks. Assuming you want to." Sloan said.

Marcus didn't know what to say. He was overwhelmed with foreign emotions. This man was standing here telling him he was useful, that he could be part of something bigger than himself. "Did you say intermediate level?" Marcus asked after a moment, hope and excitement in his voice.

Sloan grinned. "Yes, you're to be enrolled right into the intermediate level and skip beginner training. Based on what I saw, you're exactly why we run these tests."

A broad grin broke out on Marcus's face. Ava and Keith smiled too, happy for their new but already close friend. "We made it too." Keith pointed out proudly.

***

A week later, Marcus was cleared to leave the infirmary and be on his own. Though still sore, he was grateful to be able to stretch his legs and see something other than his hospital bed.

A week stuck in a room gave him a lot of time to think. Although he was excited about his upcoming training, he was also a little worried about his ability to use magic, or rather, inability to control it. He figured the first place he should go is back to the bookstore. He needed more answers.

The day was warm, but the slight breeze hinted at the coming autumn. He took in a deep breath, smelling the fresh air, the hint of salt from the ocean, and the various smells that come from a big city. Ava and Keith wanted to go with him and make sure he took it slow on his first day out, but he told them he would see them later. He needed a little time on his own first.

Marcus nodded to himself. Decision made, he started making his way to the bookstore. He was vaguely aware of all the activities going on around him, but he was too busy lost in his own thoughts to really notice. He was told that his magic testing was postponed, this at least gave him a sense of relief, but there was still so much he didn't know.